The Man In Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:27 am

sab wrote:Dude, JC is one of the pillars of coolness in my music appreciation.

Elvis, Frank, and Neil are three of the others.

He is in good company.

Frank Black?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:28 am

hebrew hammer wrote:I own Live at Folsom, but
I need some direction. I want San Quentin, but any
recommendations in regards to box sets
(BTW, thanks Russ, if I can find Unearthed for
a little cheaper I plan on picking it up), full-lengths, etc.?
It's embarrassing to ask, but his discography is so
expansive, I was looking for some opinions from
more serious Cash gormandizers.

Well. there are loads of "best of" & "greatest hits" of CASH,
and you might be good on getting one of those to get
the really well known songs in one cheaper disc.
The UNEARTHED set only contains tracks recorded
during the Rick Rubin sessions, but most of it is all
unreleased stuff with lots of Johnny's famous pals
lending a hand. It covers many genres that Johnny
worked in, including Spirituals.
It really is essential to a true CASH fan...

But other than the prison live albums, and a Greatest Hits
compilation, I would buy CASH'S "Ride This Train" cd.
Its a concept album, and theres a spoken word section
that prefaces almost each song. Its like Johnny sitting in
your room with you....Its really, really magical, and
almost a history lesson at the same time.

Heres a track from it that I really dig:
"The Ballad Of The Harpweaver"

http://homepage.mac.com/russturk/.Public/Harpweaver.mp3

And while I'm at it, here are my favorite 10 CASH songs.
Go here, and click on the folder labled CASH.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/File ... US&lang=en
Last edited by russ on Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:52 am

russ wrote:
I would love it to be good, but it won't be.
Not with Reese Witherspoon and her Jay Leno Jawline. and I like Joaquin Phoenix, but no matter how good he sings, it AIN'T CASH'S voice.
I didn't really think RAY was very good either,Foxx was great but they were smart to use the real Ray's voice and music.
I'll go see WALK THE LINE anyway, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

By the way, if anyone want to spend the loot, UNEARTHED is a great cd set of CASH'S Rick Rubin work. Set you back about $50 or $60 but its great.

I won't be able to resist. Even if it sucks, I'll end up seeing it.

And maybe I'm in the minority on this (and I am, given the film snob friends I have talked to) but I really enjoyed Ray. The ending was a little abrupt, but after Ray and Collateral I have a lot of newfound respect for Jamiee Foxx as an actor that I didn't have previously. And Foxx actually sang most of the vocal tracks on that movie, by the way.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:25 am

steve-o wrote:
I won't be able to resist. Even if it sucks, I'll end up seeing it.

And maybe I'm in the minority on this (and I am, given the film snob friends I have talked to) but I really enjoyed Ray. The ending was a little abrupt, but after Ray and Collateral I have a lot of newfound respect for Jamiee Foxx as an actor that I didn't have previously. And Foxx actually sang most of the vocal tracks on that movie, by the way.

It just felt like a tv movie to me..Foxx was great, but it just felt leaden & boring for most of the movie....and what this? Foxx sang those songs in the movie "Ray"? Are you sure?

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:24 am

I think Foxx did the vocals.listen to the hook on Kanye Wests Golddigger song...Also Ray Charles approved of Foxx's performance, he did get to "preview" the movie before he passed. Johnny Cash also knew of and approved of Joaquin Phoenix to play him in the movie...
russ wrote:
It just felt like a tv movie to me..Foxx was great, but it just felt leaden & boring for most of the movie....and what this? Foxx sang those songs in the movie "Ray"? Are you sure?

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:44 am

good picks-get a sun records disc or Johnny Cash With His Hot and Blue Guitar
as far as best ofs go, The Essential Johnny Cash or drop 40 bucks for the Legend Box set...
If you like story songs you can drop about 90 bucks for Come Along and Ride This Train from Bear Family...8 concept albums (Johnny Cash predated prog rock for this...what an innovator!) on 4 cds with original liners intact in an LP sized booklet...Bear Family is great if you want any old country stuff (you can get massive sets for some really abscure folks)

hebrew hammer wrote:I own Live at Folsom, but I need some direction. I want San Quentin, but any recommendations in regards to box sets (BTW, thanks Russ, if I can find Unearthed for a little cheaper I plan on picking it up), full-lengths, etc.? It's embarrassing to ask, but his discography is so expansive, I was looking for some opinions from more serious Cash gormandizers.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:37 pm

I've gotten by too long on the Cash in friends' collections. He is awesome.

Mrs. barabajagal and I settled down to an evening by the fire last night& explored the A.M. dial. I was hoping for a good tin foil hat conspiracy talk show, but instead we found a station playing country tunes from (what I think was) late 60s early 70s. Cash, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride...I didn't know it, but I could listen to that stuff all day.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I've gotten by too long on the Cash in friends' collections. He is awesome.

Mrs. barabajagal and I settled down to an evening by the fire last night& explored the A.M. dial. I was hoping for a good tin foil hat conspiracy talk show, but instead we found a station playing country tunes from (what I think was) late 60s early 70s. Cash, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride...I didn't know it, but I could listen to that stuff all day.

Amazing that this post was originally from 2001, when I was just starting to gain newfound respect for JC. But nothing else has changed in the country music scene - it still sucks. I wonder about the future of country when it's best music was largely recorded at least 25 years ago...

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:33 pm

theres still hope...its just that the good stuff isnt labeled for the mainstream now...
Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Amazing that this post was originally from 2001, when I was just starting to gain newfound respect for JC. But nothing else has changed in the country music scene - it still sucks. I wonder about the future of country when it's best music was largely recorded at least 25 years ago...

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:19 am

I can thank my mother for growing up with good music.

When she was a young girl she got to meet the man when he was
still performing as Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two, at
a free outdoor show, for a block party on her street.

Return to “Rants and Raves”