Death of the Intersection

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Embryonic

Postby Embryonic » Fri May 24, 2002 9:20 am

For all of those familiar with Grand Rapids' music venue, The Intersection (providing music entertainment since 1972), I am here to announce it's official death. This fall The Intersection will be joining Grand Rapids'ultra lame downtown nightlife, stationed right down the street from Van Andel Arena. I've always thought of The Intersection as a music dive, not the best place to catch a show but decent for GR and in a good area (Eastown). The way it sounds, the move is also looking to bring a new image. Suddenly, they're referring to themselves as a "nightclub". Future plans include expanding to nightly bookings of classic rock and jazz bands, offering a food menu, and possibly even an outdoor cafe. Will this lead to the death of West Michigan's attraction for new and upcoming bands? Or will another venue fill its shoes?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 10:20 am

Having played the Intersection countless times and getting screwed over more than I can remember, this is bitter-sweet news. I hate that there won't be a decent venue in Eastown but am sorta glad that the reign of terror may be over. Of course, I haven't lived in GR for years and have no idea what the Intersection is like under new ownership, so maybe this is really terrible. If someone can get a liquor license, they should open a better club in the space.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Fri May 24, 2002 10:51 am

Right there with you, DP. Strange to think that place won't exist any more, despite how it may have treated bands.

Embryonic

Postby Embryonic » Fri May 24, 2002 11:23 am

Yeah, I've heard that about them many times - that they pay crap and treat the bands the same. Still, if I weren't moving from GR, come fall, I think I'd be kind of sad to think the Intersection will no longer be in Eastown. Currently I live less than a mile away, so it's nothing to drive or walk by it many times a day. I've had a lot of memories stem from there. Hopefully someone will take the initiative to turn it into a kick ass place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Embryonic on 2002-05-24 11:23 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 12:02 pm

Exactly. That's why it's bitter-sweet to hear about. I have spent so many countless nights there and had so many great times, but I've also been ripped off like a mofo by Dave Dever and his gang that I tend to hate the place more than miss it.

I too lived in Eastown for a spell. I lived on Bemis, just three blocks from the Intersection and had some good times there too. Eastown is definately my favorite part of GR and I hope someone will buy that space that houses the Intersection now and open a really good club.

By the way, I can't believe nobody has bought and reopened the Reptile House. I saw some really fantastic shows there in the early 90s.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Fri May 24, 2002 4:00 pm

Phil, I'm right there with you. The Reptile House was one of the most amazing dive bars ever, and it was at ground zero of one of the most backwardly conservative tight-wad towns on the planet. I saw Melvins there, Frank Black, man, what else? Oh, Stereolab blew out the sound system one time, and one of the girls in Tuscadero gave me a kiss.

The Intersection? Well, Billy's closed too, or at least opened up under new management, didn't it? Next thing you know, YesterDog'll re-locate to inside the B.O.B.

I once saw Medicine at the Intersection. It may have been the loudest show I've ever attended.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 4:13 pm

I saw Jonathan Richman at the Intersection with the Browns and about 8 other people.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins, Tool and the Afghan Wigs at the Reptile House way back when. I really can't believe someone hasn't reopened that mother. Maybe GLONO should buy it.

Embryonic

Postby Embryonic » Fri May 24, 2002 4:59 pm

The Smashing Pumpkins at the Reptile House! I would have died. I thought I was lucky enough to catch Zwan at the Intersection back in December.

Unfortunately, the Reptile House was before my time but I've always heard about what a great dive it was. No one ever mentioned what great bands played there though! I think with all the renovations that have been going on in that area of GR, the city's been kind of strict with codes and choosy of what businesses they're allowing. I also know that Americorps is very active in the Heartside and (this is just a brainstorm theory) they're a Christian affiliated organization who might not welcome such a business.

On another note, I heard kind of a little funny story at the bar the other night. Stooges, a fairly new bar in GR that has bands often which is on the same stretch of Division as the Reptile House, has this thing on Saturday nights called Fusion. Supposedly, it's a techno/dance kind of thing and the GR Asian population is taking it over. I'm a very opened minded person so I'm not saying this on an anti-racial level or anything, but from what I've heard, the groups that have been hanging out there aren't very welcoming of others themselves. Just a couple of weekends ago, racial trouble stirred up at this place and they booted out about 20 or so Asian Grand Rapidians which then incited a riot in which this group proceeded to bust out store windows along Division. Stooges is somewhere I liked to go and catch small shows when it first opened. Now it's just as lame as anywhere else downtown. Was GR ever cool? Will it ever be?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 5:52 pm

Well, my man, there's a reason so many GLONO team members USED to live in Grand Rapids and now live in Chicago or Detroit.

Kalamazoo had a fucking rockin' scene back in the early 90s. Club Soda booked some great acts. You could catch any number of touring acts right before they broke, including Nirvana, the Pixies, Wilco, etc. The local scene down there was great too. Leppotone Electrical Recordings had the best bands: The Sleestacks, The Sinatras, King Tammy, Fortune & Maltese, Twister, Goldstar...some of these groups still play on occasion and you should book down to Kzoo and see them.

Grand Rapids never really got cool on the musical front and it always drove me nuts. It's a good sized city and SHOULD have a great scene, but it never did. Kalamzoo was always better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D. Phillips on 2002-05-24 17:52 ]</font>

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri May 24, 2002 8:03 pm

Actually, I think Americorps is a federally-funded and administered volunteer program. Probably not Christian-based then.

Return to “Rants and Raves”