Death of the Intersection

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sat May 25, 2002 5:00 pm

The strip of Division that's been under renovation the last few years is mostly under the watchful eye of Heartside Ministries, a Chrsitian organization.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue May 28, 2002 2:11 pm

Dever hasn't been involved with the Intersection for going on two years now. A small group of investors bought the bar from him, renovated the place and opened the "Pop Cafe" (all ages coffee/music shop) next door.

The renovations to the Intersection building have made it a better venue for well attended shows.

What's scary is that the bar was only renting that space. A christian organization has been pushing to take over that building to be used as a front for a "charter" school. Just a scam to use public funding for private education. Anyway. With the intersction running towards downtown GR (the night time playground for Ada, Michigan's upwardly mobile, golf club swinging 20 and 30 somethings) I'll bet that some kind of right wing group takes over that space.

It happened just around the corner when a Pentacost church bought the old Eastown theater. When that sat empty for a year no one else was there to save that old musical venue either.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 28, 2002 4:20 pm

Fuck Grand Rapids. Move to the lakeshore if you want to stay in Western Michigan--at least there you have a certain natural charm to offset the homogeneity. Or better yet, just move altogether away. Come to Detroit, it needs you! Or be like me and join the rest of the world in Chicago.

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Tue May 28, 2002 6:02 pm

How big a venue was the Intersection (capacity-wise)?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed May 29, 2002 10:21 am

Yikes! You're a bitter bitter man, Sab.

I often ask Pat, "Have we been left behind?" Not unlike some characters in that zealot christian book/movie series.

W. Genter

Postby W. Genter » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:18 pm

The Intersection... To me this place was more of a reputation than an experience... In the late '80's and early '90s, the Intersection was the only place for a good band to play unless you were lucky enough to get a gig at Frank Eimer's Froggy's. For my part, my band played there once in 1991, and in my naivete was happy to receive the pittance we got as we were trying to expand our E. Lansing fanbase. Long Live Froggy's.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:22 pm

Froggy's was 1991? It seems like it was earlier than that, like 1988.

W. Genter

Postby W. Genter » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:58 pm

Oops.
Yep. Froggys = 1988 Intersection = 1991. Apologies for the vagueness.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:06 pm

Hill Billy, email me if you read this.

Return to “Rants and Raves”