pay for play?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue May 28, 2002 11:08 am

I saw this on 20/20 this weekend. Is payola alive and well in radio? Chuck D weighs in at the end.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/202 ... 20524.html

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue May 28, 2002 11:57 am

The New York Times did an article on that this weekend. Dig it.

The industry is obviously incapable of managing itself, so I'm happy to see any change at all, but as to whether or not it'll change the musical landscape in any way will remain to be seen for a while.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed May 29, 2002 8:44 am

I agree. The promoters seem to have the effect of narrowing the new entries on radio station playlists to only major label-backed artists whose record companies are willing to pay to promote the single. But if the promoters are taken out of the picture, won't the radio stations still rely on the same singles from major label-backed artists?

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed May 29, 2002 4:45 pm

I once had a girlfriend who got fired from her night shift at a major Grand Rapids station because she played too many requests. What the shit is up with that?

Per Jake Brown's post yesterday (among other things), we have it on pretty good authority that 1) labels don't know what will sell and 2) p2p isn't a major factor in record sales. That these promoters even exist is a testament to the depth of human (or rather American) greed and the willingness of our culture to accept them.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed May 29, 2002 6:23 pm

The record industry (along with that of BIG Radio) is operating under an outdated business model wher they "deliver" the product to the customer. It's bullshit and edging up on irrelevant now.

Music fans now seeks out and acquire music, often straight from the source (see Wilco, Aimee Mann, Weezer, etc.). The RIAA and Clear Channel are holding on desperately to a dying way of life--and they are desperate. Nothing more dangerous than a dying beast.

Return to “Rants and Raves”