Perfect albums

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:25 pm

Jake wrote:Credit really goes to Kenan Hebert

Speking of which, here's a nice compliment to this thread:Gigantic's great albums.

RussTurk2003

Postby RussTurk2003 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:23 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Not only do I not mind those songs - "Yellow Submarine" was one of the first songs my son recognized and would bob his head along to - I can't even fathom the album without them. They are in their place, and all is right with the world.... or that album anyway.

Yellow Submarine isn't on the Sgt Pepper cd....and Sgt Pepper isn't thier best album....That would be a tie between Rubber Soul and Revolver..and to anyone who thinks those are "too old" to be considered for the list of *perfect albums*, that is igonorant and ageist. These lists of perfect albums are just a way for everybody to show what they think is great..it has absoloutely no meaning at all, except to the person who writes out their faves. You like what you like and that is what makes you happy. No one will ever agree with your taste 100% and that is what makes the world go round...

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:50 am

Joshua wrote:Generally speaking, I steer clear of these discussions as they are fraught with personal feelings that can't be reconciled, but I'm surprised one name hasn't come up yet, particularly as it was Derek that introduced me to the album that has been a top-10 favorite for almost 10 years now...

The The: Mind Bomb

Just my $0.02.

I liked Mind Bomb enough through the first few tracks... then, when I got to "Uncertain Smile", which starts off as a great enough track, but then at the end he splashes that pure-emotion-in-keyboard-form for like ten minutes, I thought, wow, this is a GREAT record!

I can't figure out why they remastered it... the sound is good enough on the original, and that original 80s cartoon cover art is part and parcel of the entire artistic statement!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:57 am

RussTurk2003 wrote: Yellow Submarine isn't on the Sgt Pepper cd....and Sgt Pepper isn't thier best album

I inferred that when that comment was made, the discussion had naturally progressed to Revolver; I don't think that the players in this conversation believed that those songs were on Sgt. Peppers.
RussTurk2003 wrote:You like what you like and that is what makes you happy. No one will ever agree with your taste 100% and that is what makes the world go round...

Well, the whole point of this thread wasn't to posit the superiority of one opinion over another (esp. since the world knows that my opinion rules supreme over all others). The thread was designed especially for the sharing of said opinions of what albums make the cut as "perfect".

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:10 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:A refresher on the 'perfect' qualifications: Rock albums from the past 25 years (1978-2003) in which every track, that's every single track, is absolutely perfect, excluding 'Best of' comps and the like.

For latecomers.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:00 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:For latecomers.

I reiterate my nomination of Mind Bomb... Beginning to end, it's perfect to me. The only moment in the album that ever gives me pause is the sudden jolt going into "Beat(en) Generation" but that's nothing. The first act of the album, tracks 1-3, is probably my favorite introduction of all time.

ryanking wrote:...then, when I got to "Uncertain Smile",...

Good track, but the wrong disc. That was on Soul Mining.

I've not heard the remasters of these albums. I would agree that they hardly need it, but I'd be interested to see what it's like.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:14 pm

I would say anything recorded in the 80s could stand a remastering. Mindbomb was released in 1989 so it comes in just under the wire. I think remastering this album could only enhance the sonic majesty that is Mind Bomb.

How's that for hyperbole?

I haven't added to this list because I can't. I'm having a tough time finding perfect albums. I love most of those listed already but can't say a one of them is absolutely perfect. Even my beloved Mind Bomb has the mediocre "Gravitate to Me." I can't think of a single album on which every songs is stellar.

...Ok, maybe Silver's Cutie Pie, but that's the only one.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:18 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I love most of those listed already but can't say a one of them is absolutely perfect. Even my beloved Mind Bomb has the mediocre "Gravitate to Me." I can't think of a single album on which every song is stellar.

That's pretty harsh, D. Not even 'Rocket To Russia'? Or 'London Calling'?' Odelay'?

Also, I just thought of another one - 'Two Wheels Good' by Prefab Sprout.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm

mike wrote:here's my list:

new bohemians - srats, goad, and live momtauk sessions
edie brickell - volcano and picture perfect morning
radiohead - kid a, hail to the thief, and amnesiac
r.e.m. - reveal and life's rich pagent
rufus wainwright - poses and want one
liz phair - liz phair and whip smart
abra moore - strangest places and no fear
10,000 maniacs - in my tribe and our time in eden
natalie merchant - motherland
the sundays - reading writing and arithmitic, blind, and static & silence
suzanne vega - songs in red and grey, nine objects of desire, and 99f

Bump.

Anybody miss Grounded5am? This post was from before he registered. He sure was consistent, and he certainly knew what he liked. If he was a street teamer, he was a dedicated one.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:46 pm

I miss that goofy bastard. C'mon back, kid!

Perfect album found: BJM - Strung Out in Heaven

Eat it!

Return to “Rants and Raves”