Perfect albums

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:08 am

I'd just like to point out that DJ Murphy's comments on "Exile on Main Street" are not why he's an idiot. It's his constant assertion that John Grisham is this country's greatest action-adventure author that makes him an idiot. The "Exile" comments were suprisingly lucid.... and I'd love to hear the "Sgt. Pepper's" critcism. To me, it's the Beatles album that aged the worst.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:07 am

Hey, that's not fair, jaimoe0!! Watch it now, or I'll tell the world your shameful secret, too... that you hang on Anne Rice's every word, and buy into each franchise she flogs into the ground, whether it's vampires or taltos. Idiot, indeed... hmph!!

Besides, it's my wife who thinks Grisham rules; I'm more of a James Joyce man myself. Plus, I still like Daniel M. Pinkwater's books... the occasional Douglas Adams... anyway, most of my recent books have had the words "Microsoft" and "certification" somewhere on the cover.

jaimoe0

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:28 am

I just wish I could read Murph's addendum at the bottom there. My tiny screen will not accomodate it. And I apologize for bringing a literary (John Grisham... literary?) reference into this discussion. For shame. Now quit pickin' on me and Anne Rice.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:58 am

Alright, reprinted slightly larger:
I wrote:Besides, it's my wife who thinks Grisham rules; I'm more of a James Joyce man myself. Plus, I still like Daniel M. Pinkwater's books... the occasional Douglas Adams... anyway, most of my recent books have had the words "Microsoft" and "certification" somewhere on the cover.

My Sgt. Peppers critiques are more along the lines of it not living up to its hype, the concept portion of the album (which held promise) petering out too soon (unlike The Who Sell Out), and the fact that while it does indeed have nice songs on it, it isn't a home run on the same level as Abbey Road or even the "white album". Ultimately not worth all the groundbreaking hype (now Hendrix, on the other hand...). Of course, that's probably easy for me to say 36 years after the fact. It's still a good album, just not their masterpiece.

jaimoe0

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:37 pm

I really admire all the ground-breaking they did with multi-tracking and found sounds, stuff which was unheard of at the time. That said, the album just sounds so "1967." It really is of its time, and not nearly the timeless masterpiece that so many of their other albums are. Speaking of perfect albums, I'd put "Revolver" on my list, but it's too old.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:49 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:Speaking of perfect albums, I'd put "Revolver" on my list, but it's too old.

Even though it has "Yellow Submarine" on it? I used to love "Good Day Sunshine" and "Got to Get You into My Life" when I was in high school, but now they just sound so cheesy and unsoulful. They sound like they should be being performed on American Idol.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:02 pm

I used to love "Good Day Sunshine" and "Got to Get You into My Life" when I was in high school, but now they just sound so cheesy and unsoulful. They sound like they should be being performed on American Idol.

But how do you feel about the Smiths??

For shame, Old Man Brown. For shame. You love those songs still and you know it.

jaimoe0

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:07 pm

Not only do I not mind those songs - "Yellow Submarine" was one of the first songs my son recognized and would bob his head along to - I can't even fathom the album without them. They are in their place, and all is right with the world.... or that album anyway.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:21 pm

D. Phillips wrote:But how do you feel about the Smiths??

For shame, Old Man Brown. For shame. You love those songs still and you know it.

There's nothing in the entire Smiths catalog that sounds like it could ever be performed on American Idol.

My problem with "Good Day Sunshine" and "Got to Get You into My Life" is that it sounds like Paul is writing for Tom Jones or Blood Sweat and Tears, or for Broadway. Paul does a much better Little Richard impersonation than he does Motown or Stax. Soul is way harder to pull off than r&b. It requires subtlety and restraint on top of a volcano of raw stanky sex. You can't fake the funk.

After I'd listened to Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin and the Temptations, those imitation tracks just stopped doing it for me. Same with the even more "vaudeville" Monkees tracks. Sometimes, they're fun. But they're nothing I want to listen to very often. And they're far from perfect.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:58 pm

I'll never understand why the Smiths are suddenly too cheesy or too 80s or whatever, while everyone continues to sweat REM.

Return to “Rants and Raves”