Rock n Roll myths/legends/truths?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:47 pm

I grew up on Cape Cod and a friend of mine helped put on a show in Plymouth at some VFW or somesuch place and booked Green Day, obviously way before Dookie made them gigantic superstars. According to him there were like 20 people there or something like that.

Whether it's true or not I have no idea but he was there so I guess it happened. I'm told they crashed at his friends and ate all his food and broke some shit before leaving for their next show.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:53 pm

I was once told a story about a Skinny Puppy show in Memphis from the late 80s at a club called Antenna.

The club owner was not familiar with Skinny Puppy. He booked the show and forgot about it. He didn't list it in the club's weekly newspaper ad, post flyers, or promote it in any way. He completely forgot that they were booked to play. From the stories I heard, maybe a dozen people were there, who just happened to drop by, not even intending to see the band. Skinny Puppy put on their whole live performance, regardless, for the handfull of people there, part of which included butchering a cow carcass.

When the band completed their performance, the club owner refused to pay their guarantee, so they refused to clean up the mess, and left the cow's bloody remains on the stage. The club owner and bar tender didn't want to clean it up, so they just left it there, locked up and went home.

The show took place during the summer, where in Memphis 90-100 degree temperatures are common. This whole mess was left there stewing all day until the club opened up the next night.

That next night, a local straight edge band called Sobering Consequences was booked. This whole story was recounted to me several years after the fact by this band's drummer. When they arrived, the place stunk like rot and the whole club was full of flies. The members of Sobering had to clean all the mess up themselves before they could perform their show.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm

thats definately a probability, if the diy spot i went to was doing stuff a few years earlier they probably wouldve had a similar story, but when they were doing shows it was right about when green day was getting big
michaelvincent wrote:I grew up on Cape Cod and a friend of mine helped put on a show in Plymouth at some VFW or somesuch place and booked Green Day, obviously way before Dookie made them gigantic superstars. According to him there were like 20 people there or something like that.

Whether it's true or not I have no idea but he was there so I guess it happened. I'm told they crashed at his friends and ate all his food and broke some shit before leaving for their next show.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:31 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/25/celeb.qa.george.jones.ap/index.html
Q: Is it true that you once took off on a riding mower to get a drink?

JONES: It happened in east Texas when I was married to my boy's mother, Shirley (his second of four wives, the former Shirley Ann Corlea). I had been on about a two-week binge. I came home and naturally nobody was there. All my vehicles were gone and the big tractor was gone. I couldn't find a thing that looked like wheels. It was a Sunday morning and I'm dying, you know. I am hurtin' and I need a drink bad. Finally, after I half-a-day suffered, I finally looked out my bedroom window and I saw this little Cub Cadet sitting there, a little 10 horsepower. I said, "There ain't no key in there. Surely they took that out." I went out there and sure enough the key was in it and it kicked right on. I headed to town as far as I could go on it.

(Jones said he got to the main highway, caught a ride with a motorist and left the mower in a ditch.)

so in other words, if the "big tractor" was there, the legend would be a little crazier!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/25/celeb.qa.george.jones.ap/index.html
Q: Is it true that you once took off on a riding mower to get a drink?

JONES: It happened in east Texas when I was married to my boy's mother, Shirley (his second of four wives, the former Shirley Ann Corlea). I had been on about a two-week binge. I came home and naturally nobody was there. All my vehicles were gone and the big tractor was gone. I couldn't find a thing that looked like wheels. It was a Sunday morning and I'm dying, you know. I am hurtin' and I need a drink bad. Finally, after I half-a-day suffered, I finally looked out my bedroom window and I saw this little Cub Cadet sitting there, a little 10 horsepower. I said, "There ain't no key in there. Surely they took that out." I went out there and sure enough the key was in it and it kicked right on. I headed to town as far as I could go on it.

(Jones said he got to the main highway, caught a ride with a motorist and left the mower in a ditch.)

so in other words, if the "big tractor" was there, the legend would be a little crazier!

Nice article, especially this:

Last month, he testified at a Federal Communication Commission hearing, urging more restrictions on media ownership. Jones maintains that radio playlists are being determined by a relative few with little knowledge of country music history, and it's hurting artists and fans.

A subject for another thread, I'm sure.

Return to “Rants and Raves”