Who is a "guilty pleasure" for you?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dratmiller
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dratmiller » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:20 pm

Boston, particularly the first album, is my guilty pleasure. Although they came to stand for everything that is corporate rock, I think people forget how different they were at the time...I know I had never heard anything quite like it....Tom's unique guitar sound, Brad's voice, the organs...I thought it was great. When I got my first CD player (how many of you can remember purchasing your first CD player?...Hell, I was the first person in my neighborhood to own one!)...I rushed right out and bought "Boston" as my very first CD. I just wanted something that had a great sound that I wouldn't get tired of listening to...Remember, the CD collection at this point consisted of one!

Anyway, I know it's been worn out and the subsequent albums went from bad to worse, but that first Boston album was "fresh" at the time and when I hear it on the radio it brings back some great memories.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:56 pm

Ad wrote:Also, that Milkshake song by Kelis. I know nothing about her of who it's produced by. The lyrics are totally retarded but that song is a total jam.

That I'll have to disagree with. Everytime I hear even a snippet of that song, it gets stuck in my head for the rest of the day. I usually have to chant that Badger song just to get it out.
As far as hip-hop guilty pleasures go, I do have to say I really liked that Fat Joe and Ashanti single from a year or two ago. I guess that would count as a guilty pleasure.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:07 pm

My guiltiest pleasure would probably be Nelly Furtado. I started listening to her when I listened to crap manufactured pop because it was the 'cool' thing around my school, and now I still like it now and then.

And, to be honest (and quite possibly laughed off this board), I voted for Clay Aiken a couple of times. I'm going to go hide in my corner of shame now.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:06 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:And, to be honest (and quite possibly laughed off this board), I voted for Clay Aiken a couple of times. I'm going to go hide in my corner of shame now.

As well you should, ID. Tut, tut.
Now go and listen to Nick Drake for a few hours. :p

DJM, all is forgiven!

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:25 pm

My guilty pleasure will always be ABBA. My little girlfriends and I used to dress up like disco divas and sing along to Dancing Queen back in the day.

I think one of the great things about being a little kid is the completely uninhibited fun of discovering music for the first time and not caring about what's "cool".
Last edited by Dreamin on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amaxwell
MOJO Freak

Postby amaxwell » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:04 pm

everything that ryan adams has done after heartbreaker has made me regard him more as a guilty pleasure.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

uhm

Postby Maarten » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:28 pm

being a newbie, i don't want to make a bad first impression :(

but i have to say, i really love listening to cher. especially that just like jesse james-song. it makes me want to bang my head and holler along loudly!

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:35 am

I feel your pain, Dawg. I'll cop to having a copy of Transistor hidden away somewhere.

I'm also a huge No Doubt fan. What?

And to hell with anyone who hates Pearl Jam. I'll love Eddie Vedder to the day I die, no matter how many lame haircuts he's gone through.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:44 am

Also, welcome to both Dawg and Maarten. Go forth and preach the Gospel!

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:18 am

Just my second post - here's the sad stuff up front -

Still listen to - Judas Priest (72-84) Paula Abdul, first Michelle Branch record, Sisters of Mercy, Slayer "Reign in Blood", Depeche Mode, DMX and "Cars" by Gary Numan. Oh, and Human Leauge.

Not embarressed to listen to Alkaline Trio, Bouncing Souls or Ryan Adams even if people tell me I should be.

Return to “Rants and Raves”