Who is a "guilty pleasure" for you?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:55 am

Jake wrote:Dude! A rock feels no pain. And an island never cries. You know it's true.

I actually do love S&G and lots of "Jerry's" early solo stuff. And lyrically, "Only Living Boy in New York" is 100% perfect. (I was so pissed when that Garden State nerd stole my favorite mix tape shocker! People used to say, Who is this? and then be shocked it was S&G.) "Still Crazy After All These Years" is pretty great, lyrically, too.

Hmm. I actually like more S&G than I care to admit. I'm just so sick of Boomer nostalgia, and they come up as much as Dylan. As if they (Boomers) invented music. (They invented death, too, dontcha know.) Nevertheless, I should add S&G to my list, but just a "best of," unless, of course, one of you can recommend an album.

Oh, and welcome to GloNo, WW

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:58 am

I've always liked S&G. The Graduate has always been one of my favorite movies and I think they provide the perfect soundtrack to that movie.

Also 'America' and 'The Boxer' are my two favorites by them. Two classics in my opinion.

I say who doesn't want to 'Feel Groovy' all the time? haha

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:52 am

yeah, I don't think anyone should feel guilty for liking S&G. Maybe some of S's or G's solo stuff, but "Only Living Boy in New York" and "America" are two of my favorite songs from that era. So perfectly played, recorded and sung. Just great songs.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:59 pm

i too will stand up for S&G and early simon solo. his self-titled solo debut (in which he employs jimmy cliff's the harder they come backing band) is fantastic and graceland, once you get past the slick 80s production, is a thing of beauty. it's still kinda hard for me to take "you can call me al" seriously after the ridiculously bad chevy chase-gone-don johnson video, but the rest of the album is very very good.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:15 pm

There are exceptions to my Simon observation, of course. I like a lot of his songs, several mentioned above like "The Boxer" and "Still Crazy," also "Me and Julio."

Yes, "Island Like a Rock" or whatever and that "America" thing just irritate me. I don't know why, I like other things even cornier than those.

And he can't sing.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Rhythm of the Saints is underrated late-period "colonial" Paul Simon (I definitely prefer it to Graceland). S&G and early solo Simon is so woven into my childhood I couldn't possibly not like them. "Scarborough Fair" is one of my all-time favorite songs, period.

miss carol, this best-of is pretty decent; it's got most of the good stuff. That's a lot of great songs, right there (well..."Richard Cory" kinda sucks in a wish-I-was-Dylan-4-years-ago kind of way, but).

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Jake wrote: "Still Crazy After All These Years" is pretty great, lyrically, too.

I fear I may do some damage one fine day.

Someone once said of Neil Young, "The mark of a great songwriter is that you can see yourself in his/her songs."

Same goes for the little bald Jew. What kid who grew up in small town industrial America during the 70's doesn't see himself as the title character in "My Little Town"...

"Ridin' my bike past the gates of the factory
My mom doin' laundry
Hangin the sheets in the DIRTY breeze

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Barabajagal wrote:miss carol, this best-of is pretty decent; it's got most of the good stuff.

I own this single-disc best of, and it's good.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:43 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I fear I may do some damage one fine day.

Haven't you done enough damage, professing your love for Billy Thorpe?
Here's where I admit to owning Axe "Offering" because of a guilty pleasure for their minor FM rock radio hit "Rock & Roll Party In The Streets."

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:40 pm

hmmmm.... that's a tough question as most of the music i truly love would be considered by some to be a guilty pleasure.

Return to “Rants and Raves”