Dee Dee Ramone Dead

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:46 pm

AP is reporting that Dee Dee Ramone is dead. The cause of death is not yet clear but they're hinting at O.D.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:54 pm

Gabba gabba hey. That's sad. He wrote all the songs. And not just the Ramones ones. He wrote songs for everybody.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:54 pm

Wha?

You've gotta be full of sh*t.

Where's the link to the article?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:59 pm

Here's a link to the AP story:

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=MIANN&FRONTID=HOME

Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck

This sucks! God damn, this sucks! I fucking hate it when rock guys I like are junkies. That fucking pisses me off.

Fuck

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:14 pm

I really hope that's not true. I just stopped mourning the death of Joey!! I thought that Dee Dee had cleaned up his act, too. Poor guy.

I can't take the members of one of my favorite bands dying like this! It's not like they're as old as the Beatles. And how come no one in the Stones has died since Brian Jones kicked it nearly 35 years ago? I'm not saying they deserve to be dead, I love the Stones, but they've kind of overstayed their welcome. At least the Ramones called it quits when they realized they had run out of new ideas. (I admit, it took them a solid handful of albums to get to this point, but they eventually came to the right conclusion.)

Be careful and live healthy, Johnny and Marky!! You too, C. J.!

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:23 pm

This is really sad, but it brings about the eternal question: Is it better to burn out than to fade away?...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:26 pm

Weird - I was just listening to Blitzkrieg Bop when I read about it. Too bad - the Ramones kicked ass. Let's hope this doesn't become a Ramones deathwatch...

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:38 pm

I just checked out the link. Guess it's true. This sucks. It's not like I knew him or anything. Still hurts, though.

The Ramones music really did change my life. I was watching Vacation shortly after it had been released on cable (or maybe it was VHS) probably in 81. At this point, I was into mainstream rock--Stones, The Who, Beatles, etc.--nothing bad, but I hadn't been exposed to punk. Anyway, there's a scene in vacation when Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo are singing "Jimmy Cracked Corn" and Anthony Michael Hall and whoever played the daughter put their Walkmans on in disgust. The song that blasted through their headhones was Blitzkrieg Bop and I was just in awe. How could a simple chant of "Hey Ho, Let's Go" make such an impression on a youngster? I remember sitting through the credits to find out who that was. I was exposed to punk and from that instant, my life was never the same. I became obsessed with punk bands and records. I bought a jean jacket and wore my various pins with pride. As dumb as it might sound, The Ramones were extremely instrumental in shaping the way I turned out.

Time to put Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin, and the self-titled debut on continuous rotation for the next few days!

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:55 pm

Dee Dee wrote a lot of Brain Drain. I just hope they honor his wish- "I don't want to be buried in a Pet Sematary"...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:20 am

There's a price to pay for livin' on Chinese Rock. Dee Dee had struggled with his addiction for years, cleaning up for long stretches only to fall off the bandwagon again. Maybe Joey's death had something to do with this? He will be sorely missed. This is a sad day.

Return to “Rants and Raves”