live vs. the studio

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:57 pm

I'm sure this has been dwelled on here before. Anyone with an aversion to live recordings? Anyone prefer "live" to "canned"?

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Depends on the band. I think the NIN live DVD is amazing. Other faves: The Who, Live at Leeds, and Naked Raygun, Free Shit (live at Metro).

rmcard

Postby rmcard » Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:49 pm

unless i was there and want it for nostalgia purposes, give me studio EVERY time.

Can't be bothered with lesser sound quality and all of the distractions otherwise...

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:00 pm

I'm a studio-type myself, as well. I like the sound of the song as it's "supposed" to be presented. Many bands pull off a fully produced sound live, but the controlled environment of the studio is better for me.

I'll take this as a rare opportunity to mention something about my favorite band on the planet - Oingo Boingo. They released a double live album of their last live performance after completely "retouching" it in the studio, so you have the live "feel" with a very nicely produced sounds, and you don't hear when Danny fucks up the lyrics or when John Avila falls over.

I guess that album sort of cemented my "album" preference - I watch the DVD of the show and the mix just doesn't do it for me. The album kicks it in the pants.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:25 pm

Josh,
This will come as a big surpirse to you but I think the idea of "retouching" a live album to the extent of covering up flubs and adding instruments is horrible...unless we're talking about the Monkee's "Circle Sky."

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:35 pm

I knew a lot of people would feel that way - you in particular, DP. It is a dubious concept, but since it's the band I love and it was their final show, I think they had the right to make it perfect, especially considering that some of the songs they did had never been released on an album. (For the record, nothing was added to the album - just replacement tracks.)

But that's just me - if you think I'm crazy, it wouldn't be the first time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joshua on 2002-06-11 15:37 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:42 pm

I think you're totally crazy. What's the point of doing an album like that and calling it "live?" That's bunk.

The whole idea of a live album is to hear a performance in a particular moment in time. Why didn't they just finish up with another studio album or say "some tracks recorded live in front of a studio audience" like Laverne & Shirley?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:23 pm

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:34 pm

What about the album fails to capture or otherwise compromises the sound of the band at a given moment in time? Just because they overdub a bass part over maybe a quarter of the song because the bassist slipped and fell doesn't change the nature of the performance or the songs.

In the specific case of Farewell, I think the biggest bit of work was replacing the entire vocal track on "Water." That may have devalued the 'live' performance value of that particular track, but Danny really messed up the lyrics and it was a previously unreleased song.

Should we dismiss Stop Making Sense because it was a montage of multiple performances?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:36 am

Stop Making Sense is such a good movie... and a decent CD. The CD, you can tell it's not one performance. It's polished and doesn't seem to have the flow of one show. On the other hand, Stop Making Sense, the movie, had me fooled if it isn't one show.

See, that's the thing about live stuff that's been messed with, whether it's the running order, or actual re-recording, it's making you think it's something it's not. You think you're getting a portrait of the band, and they went back and perfected it. That's not what I wanted! I wanted a portrait! It's like cheating. It's like Isaiah Thomas overdubbing the 1989 NBA Finals film and perfecting his finger roll. It's not fair!!! Cheating!!!

Return to “Rants and Raves”