live vs. the studio

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:41 pm

I guess if the live show is kinda technical anyway... if the emphasis of the live show is on a "clean" sound, no reverb, just instruments punched in with as little interfering "noise" as possible, and the music calls for the instruments to be played proficiently, sort of like an orchestra, Oingo Boingo fits in there, then hell, overdub all you want, it won't change the feel of the recording. It will probably improve the recording in most fans' eyes. I see what you're getting at, Josh.

But then it's probably true that a lot of people here like reverb, noise, intensity, and goofups, which, then it's like you give the sign of the cross to any kind of overdub. egah! donttouchme!

Just a different taste in live music styles. After that Monkees CD though, I just wish the Monkees had been a little more... Oingo Boingo.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:41 pm

Yes, after listening to a few of the clips from that Monkees CD, I'd agree and I hate Oingo Boingo.

"Circle Sky" on the other hand...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sab on 2002-06-13 14:42 ]</font>

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:20 am

I was under the impression that the vast majority of live albums were touched up in the studio to varying degrees... from re-recording whole parts of songs to HEAVILY producing and processing the sound so you don't know how much KISS actually sucked live. That said, a good taped live performance should sound different that the studio version, whether it means toughening up the sound or extending a song or changing lyrics or whatever. If I want studio perfection, I'll listen to the studio album. However, I'm not to be trusted. My favorite live album is UFO's "Strangers In the Night."

Return to “Rants and Raves”