mp3 fidelity fallout

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:22 pm

The piece I wrote today http://www.gloriousnoise.com/?pg=2002_0 ... p#77660105 got me to thinking. If the de facto fidelity standard becomes the inherently compromised 128kbps mp3, where does that leave the recording studios with their digital 64-track recording capability? I'm not that familiar with the ins and outs of studio recording in this day and age. Anyone have thoughts/ideas on this?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:44 pm

No way that "mp3 quality" would become the de facto fidelity standard... how could it?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:48 pm

It already sort of has, given the volume of music that makes its rounds on the Internet.
And mp3-playing-car CD players are now under $200.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:54 pm

Agreed. Mainstream media will never be primarily distributed in MP3 or any other highly-compressed digital format. Even at the improved rate of 160kbps, the clarity of sound doesn't compare with the original CD.

More specifically in relation to your question, Sab, I think the studios will always have superior digital technology and the means to dumb it down to whatever format takes hold at the time. The fidelity standard will remain higher than what you get with a 128-bit MP3, in any case. I hope.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:20 pm

But doesn't the cost of the high tech studio equipment become wasteful if the music gets compressed into a 128kbps mp3?

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:41 pm

Yes, but that MP3 isn't the intended final delivery vehicle for the song. Another future technology with better compression and superior quality could become the "standard," but MP3 never will.

The cost of the studio will always be (ultimately) covered by sales of the music in its most efficient and highest-quality form, currently CDs.

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:38 am

mp3's or mp4's or whatever the next step is will probably become adverts, like singles have. the record company's will probably have 30 second samples of a few songs by each artist, this saves promo's and creates a situation where a login will be needed or maybe you'll have to join up and give details, further increasing the amount of marketing in music, which is where its headed entirely, i think...
anyway, until record companies can get people to pay money for music files i can see this happening....

rmcard

Postby rmcard » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:04 pm

SACD is the new digital standard, as it delivers as much of the original signal as an analog recording... (instead of being compressed like a cd...) Perhaps it will even catch on...that is - if they can get past the 5.1 crap. Then again, it could be the next Betamax. Who knows...?

I don't know enough about the new generations of the mpeg format to know if they are approaching cd quality...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rmcard on 2002-06-13 15:06 ]</font>

Return to “Rants and Raves”