annoying tracks in otherwise great albums...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:27 pm

Cherry Chapstick from Yo La Tengo's brilliant "And then nothing turned itself inside out."

A brilliant album but that song always catches me unexpectedly and freaks me out. That's possibly the point though.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:46 pm

Hey, don't hate on Eddie Vedder. He was important in my formative years. Though I did just download a horrendously bad cover of "Know Your Rights" from Pearl Jam's latest tour.

I think you're thinking of "Electioneering" on OK Computer, a song I actually like, but I can see where you're coming from.

But, yeah, after "Fitter, Happier," that album goes from classic to simply above average.

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:53 pm

DJMurphy wrote:The Beatles-The White Album "Revolution #9" (say what you will about it being oh-so-avant-and-ahead-of-its-time, but that's one of those songs you only need to listen to once every 5 years. The White Album can and should get more play than every 5 years, ergo the skip forward button on our CD players.)

Agreed, Murph. Also "The Grouch" on Green Day's Nimrod - not bad, just a step down from the rest of the album.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:17 pm

"Exchange" off Massive Attack's Mezzanine- it always annoys me when I have to reach for the skip button just when I'm getting settled into the album.
"Certain People I Know"- off Morrissey's Your Arsenal- just stick to the sad bastard music Morrissey, because the whole branching out into country western doesn't work.
"Sleeping In" off The Postal Service's Give Up- what the hell is that song about anyway? The lyrics are just dumb.
And not to keep picking on Morrissey, but "Heaven Knows i'm Miserable Now" off Louder Than Bombs is further proof that while The Smiths were capable of making absolutely brilliant albums, they also churned out a lot of horse manure in the process.
And I used to skip "Death of an Interior Decorator" off the new Death Cab for Cutie album, but that song kind of grows on you after a while.
As for "Electioneering" I'd have to disagree, I love that song. I always though Pablo Honey had more skippable tracks than Ok Computer.
And I'll have to second "Yoshimi Pt2." I think that was what brought about my previous comment that while the album is really good, some of it is just unlistenable. Unless you're baked I guess.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:33 pm

Tom4 wrote:Wilco - "Radio Cure" (sorry, I know this one might cause some heat, just my opinion)

I think I may be the only person who loves Radio Cure (possibly my fav track, aside from IATTBYH and Poor Places), but hates Jesus, etc. (I'm allergic to strings).

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:39 pm

Underneath the Bunker on Lifes Rick Pagent
Welfare Mothers on Rust Never Sleeps

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:14 am

I thnk of "Mother" off of Synchronicity by the Police right away.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:42 am

Dreamin wrote:Underneath the Bunker on Lifes Rick Pagent

That's one of my favorite ever REM tracks. Seriously. Reminds me of Tom Waits' "Jockey Full of Bourbon." The surf-guitar line in that is cool as fuck. What's not to like? And anything that obscures Stipe's voice is okay with me, ha ha.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:56 pm

Augh, don't get me started. I really dislike the odd spoken word bits that bands will chuck into the middle of a CD, like the already-mentioned "Fitter Happier". But the worst, the WORST (imho) is "Aluminum" by the W. Stripes. Gah.

And sorry Dreamin, I skip Radio Cure too.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:39 pm

Dreamin wrote:
I think I may be the only person who loves Radio Cure (possibly my fav track, aside from IATTBYH and Poor Places), but hates Jesus, etc. (I'm allergic to strings).

Wow. "Jesus, etc" might be my favorite Wilco song, on any album.

Return to “Rants and Raves”