Taste Of Randolph Street Festival - West Loop Of Chicago

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:20 am

Taste of Randolph Street

Randolph and Halsted Streets
Annual three-day event features live bands and food from Randolph Street restaurants. In conjunction with the Randolph Street Fine Arts Festival. Entertainment includes Cracker, Baldwin Brothers and Robbie Fulks. Benefits West Loop Gate Association.
Music Schedule:

June 21
5:15p.m.: Baldwin Brothers
6:30 p.m.: Iffy
8 p.m.: SONIAdada

June 22
2 p.m.: Wendy DeBias
3:30p.m.: Howlin' Maggie
5 p.m.: Keller Williams
6:30 p.m.: Million Yen
8 p.m.: Cracker

June 23
2 p.m.: Tom Daily
3:30p.m. Bicycle, Tricycle
5 p.m.: Robbie Fulks
6:30 p.m.: Duvall
8 p.m.: Jay Ferrar

Jun. 21: 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Jun. 22: noon - 10 p.m.
Jun. 23: noon - 10 p.m.

Price: Suggested donation: $6 before 5 p.m., $10 after 5 p.m.
Information: 800-485-8085

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:26 am

What's up? No Soul Asylum this year? Maybe Pirner's dad wouldn't let him have the weekend off from the video store to make the drive down here.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:46 am

I bet that's a strange setting to see Jay Farrar in...

poopypoopoop
GLONO Board Playa

Postby poopypoopoop » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:56 am

Indeed, Jake, indeed. I have trouble seeing Jay Farrarrerrerr (sp?) as anything but Klinger, let alone a street performer.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:47 pm

you'd think it's a strange setting, but somehow chicago street festivals have always been fun places to catch acts. just last year i caught alex chilton at the same festival. it was a loose affair, alex was in good spirits, and the crowd was into whatever he decided to throw out there (some box tops stuff, little r&b, big star highlights, and even a michael jackson cover).

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:17 pm

well, I normally think it's kind of lame to see performers at street festivals...and most of the time no one plays that I would want to see...however, erin and I caught Ike Reilly last weekend at rib fest...I don't think I would have gone to see them normally (nor would I normally go to rib fest for that matter), but they were really good, and now I'd see them again...maybe it was just all the martinis we had beforehand...good thing about street festivals, though, is that they are free if you dodge the "donation" and you can bring your own alcohol if you're sneaky about it and avoid cops...

erin

Postby erin » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:31 pm

thanks for the update vitas.
the other thing about street festivals is that you run into lots of friends...whether you want to or not.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:34 pm

Cheapo....what's wrong? can't afford the $5 to help the neighborhood make donations to it's parks and plant flowers on the sidewalk, etc. Oh well - Let's Sneak Booze in and Party!

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:59 pm

yep. when you are drinking $12 martinis and spontaneously end up at a festival realizing you have no cash, due to the martinis, and they don't take credit, sometimes the sidewalks and flowers get sacrificed!

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:56 pm

I went to Taste Of Randolph last year...forget who I went to see and which night... and I thought it was obnoxious. Like a Lincoln Park Trixies happy hour or something, cigar smoking and all. Some street fairs are cooler than others.

Return to “Rants and Raves”