Reptile House is finally gone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

scottp

Postby scottp » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:28 pm

Bands I recall seeing there between 1990 and 1995:

Tool, Kyuss, Urge Overkill, His Name is Alive, Poster Children, Walt Mink, Electric Hellfire Club.

Many nights spent there chasing pooty and many mornings after with the Skull hangover. There will never be anything close to that bar in this town again!

sidhe6669

bondage girls

Postby sidhe6669 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:44 pm

I was one the "stoned" bondage girls. Never stoned and naked only to get my nipples pierced. I cant begin to list the bands I have seen come and go through that door. I have some pretty cool pics if I could just find them. Yeah Al sucks I seen him when Jarod from chemlab came to town playing the cool guy. My fave show chemlab 16volt sister machine gun. oh the good old days.

Artemis

Reptile House, GR

Postby Artemis » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:46 pm

As a former Reptile House go-go cage dancer, I feel the need to weigh in, though this topic has been on here for some time.

I live in Chicago now, and there are a couple of bars here that recreate a Reptile vibe for me, but when I come to GR to visit, I really miss that old spot. It's sad that there's no place like it now for people to go see good shows and just hear good music. My brother is now caught in that wasteland between 18 and 21, and while I was able to go to Reptile when I was that age, he's pretty much stuck with Denny's.

As for the sign, my dad tried to buy it for me for a gift at one point (what a sweet guy, huh?), and was never able to get in contact with anyone about it. Too bad, it would have looked nice next to my giant 1340 Underground poster.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:48 am

There is always Denny's, isn't there?

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:08 pm

Especially after Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Old Reptile Sign

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:19 pm

Word is that the building's current owner, who actually owns a couple of local pubs (cool to hang-out at, but a totally different thing than Reptile was) now has the sign in his loft, which is the second floor of the Reptile.

For a long time I had a secret plan to jack that thing, using my F150, a step ladder and a portable torch. I figured it would have taken me 5 minutes to remove it.

If I can find the article I'll post it, but the city and I think Dwelling place have worked with an artist and commissioned a mural to cover the Southern exposure of the building (the side facing Cherry Ave). So, while the building will be totally unrecognizable in the years to come, at least it's being put to some use.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:42 pm

God, I miss the Reptile house...

Toxic's Anus

God, you fuckers sound old!!

Postby Toxic's Anus » Thu May 29, 2003 4:44 pm

DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! >:-[>

msdmnrs_superfan

Postby msdmnrs_superfan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:34 am

it may be gone but one thing for sure the new ownership is also revitalizing the scene here in gr and it may be "cristian" themed but its not the only thing cristian about it is the band posters on the wall and the owner if you go there you would just see a bunch of teenage punks but its only the beginning they are getting people from muskegon and grand haven todrive to gr almost every weekend if anyone is ever in grand rapids and a few of the following bands are playing make sure you go cause it ill be a great show,the misdemeanors,duckbomb,offbeats,look ma no ham, the meehs,deafinates,unjust,conrads(they may be young but they are one hell of a group),forever youth,desiring dead flesh,fallen idols allof them are great bands but any way many of the people dont know of its heritage but the diehards know it all to well even though most of us were little youngings haning around with our parents

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:58 am

and I don't know anything about periods because periods are for turkeys and spelling 'christian' like this 'cristian' is cool because after all periods aren't what they used to be and and and and and and and and and and and

Return to “Rants and Raves”