Reptile House is finally gone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:12 pm

Loftus, you old grammar nazi.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:55 pm

'Cristian' and christian punks are no punks at all. Who cares if people come from muskeegon if it's just to sit around with a bunch conformist fashion posers?

This is yet another nail in the wrists and ankles of rock n roll. Some time ago christians hyjacked the hippie movement. Now when you go to a Phish show or hang out in vegan co-op house in Ann Arbor, all you get is a heady dose of vailed christian smarminess. Conservative Christian kids stop shaving, bathing and brushing their teeth for a few years, then once they're in the job market and looking at a 30 year fixed mortgage, they revert back to their parents' closeminded ways.

In the past 10 years the same thing has happened to the so-called Alternative scene. Ska isn't enough for you? Well forget about it's pre-regae African inspired roots and get yourself some Jesus Ska!! Does the overtly rebellious lyrics of such old school rockers as Weezer scare your folks? Don't worry, there's plenty of neo-christian-post-emo out there to keep you going right through your next bible study.

Come on! Appropriating the trappings of rebellious music doesn't make you hip, rebellious and certainly not original. Anybody who dresses like a punk is NOT a punk. Anybody who dresses like a punk, then pays $15 to see Five Iron Frezy at a local Church is just a sad little suburban piss ant.

Rant Over
Scotty

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:59 pm

I don't know, Scott. Jake and I know this kid who is devoutly Christian and probably as "punk" as you can get. He does his own thing, which has led to being tossed from schools at times, but is a really cool and nice and--yes, Christian kid.

On another tip, what is it with Christian rock that seems so off? It just doesn't sound right, regardless of sub-genre.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:23 pm

D. Phillips wrote:On another tip, what is it with Christian rock that seems so off? It just doesn't sound right, regardless of sub-genre.

It always leads back to the same thing - there's no surprise, no jolt. It always has to end with 'Jesus good, world bad'. There's no questioning, no discovery. It's killjoy rock.

Just thinking about it makes me want to bust out some Ramones.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:37 pm

But guys, Jesus was the world's first rock star.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:45 pm

Actually, Moses was the first rock star. Jesus copied all his riffs.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:07 pm

Being that 90% or more Americans are obstensibly christians, I would guess that 90% or so of American punk kids are christians. Being christian doesn't make one less punk. Where it gets my goat is when it becomes a context for the music. I think the "Jesus good, world bad" explanation hits it right on.

On top of that it's also a poser scene. It's like 45 year old stock brokers riding $20k Harleys and wearing fringed leather jackets and chaps. They're appropriating the trappings of a particular cultural phenomenon, but not the heart and soal of it.

It's bound to happen. It's a fashion statement. For kids its a clique, and a way to pretend that they're rebelling without actually doing so.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:33 pm

That Guest comment directly above is me. Forgot to log in.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:53 pm

D said:
On another tip, what is it with Christian rock that seems so off? It just doesn't sound right, regardless of sub-genre.

Why, because it's missing 2 essential ingredients: sex & drugs. Decided un-christian.

As for 90% of Americans being christian, perhaps that's just for the census guy. I think it's like being "punk" - you can have all the trappings, go to church, read the bible, but if your stone pitching arm is too good, you ain't a christian.

Me, I don't identify myself as anything.

msdmnrs_superfan

Postby msdmnrs_superfan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:52 am

holy shit i didnt even say i was a christian and my bad i forgot the "h" in christian woopde fucking do im not here to bitch at everyone and i belive in what i believe in and it isnt an almighty god that made people to damn them because they dont follow a big book that says a lot of this ohh well i believe what i believe and i dont give a fuck what any body says but by saying that im just more steriotypical because im just some crazy radical punk that thinks hes punk why the fuck do you care punk is not about politics and who is a poser and who is a real punk because the fight behind it is the whole reason of punk but im just some drunk teenage poser so fuck it ohh yeah and that one punk that scotty and jake prolly know i bet is mike donahue and i know that quite well

Return to “Rants and Raves”