Reptile House is finally gone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:33 am

As a reply to a reply, I will quote my man, Johnny:

"and I don't know anything about periods because periods are for turkeys and spelling 'christian' like this 'cristian' is cool because after all periods aren't what they used to be and and and and and and and and and and and"

Phew!

Ajaxx

you all suck anyways...

Postby Ajaxx » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:14 pm

Reptile is gone because the ppl who went there and the ppl who owned it didn't care enuff to keep it alive. You live in f#@king Grand Rapids for christ sakes, an arm pit of right-wing, christian, bigots who will destroy anything they dem sinful. The co-opting of "punk" is just an attempt to twist a culture into their mold. So quit bitching about it and resist! [email protected]#k, the arena, and [email protected]#k the BOB! the desire to be near them is the desire to sell out and kill yourself. The powers that be behind those places don't like you. They are the ppl that envision GR as a place where hoards of jolly conventioneers will descend to toss money while scampering about the sky walks leading to city approved entertainment and business. You are not part of their plans. GR has been in the business of killing youth culture since the 60's. If they cant chase you out, then they will pressure land lords to throw you out. They will use construction to block easy access to your business and police harrassment to discredit you on the 11 o'clock news. Most of the ppl affected by this won't put up much of a fight, because most ppl in the culture are temporary. Poor, bored, east grand rapids kids, who just want to have fun until they grow up and turn into their parents.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:20 pm

they dem sinful

They Dem Sinful is the name of my new band.

Stay tuned for info about our summer 'M-45 Tour', making stops at John Ball Park Pavillion, The Shawmut Inn, and of course, The Embassy.

Oh and by the way ppl rule and cristans stink! Don't hate!

Love,
John Van der haaag, esq.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:53 pm

Let the anger flow! Give in to it, and you will give in to the dark side of the Force!

Actually, I think that the owners of the Bob and the arena in downtown Bland Rapids actually do want to market to me. They want me to pay to park my brand new Subaru Outback in their lots. They want me to charge lots of trendy malt beverages on my Amex card. They want to sell me Black Angus Steak on their above-the-sidewalk patio. They want to charge me insane markups for my Tom Petty and Cher tickets.

The owner of the Reptile, however, didn't seem to need my money as much as he needed certain other things that we will not mention while John Ashcroft is monitoring this site.

In the mean time, I'll don my newest Fred Perry shirt and walk my fancy arse pair of brown leather Clarks down to one of the new trendy bars, the ones with a cover charge, and sip expensive British Ales from 14oz glasses, all the while munching on Tapas, rosemary french fries and Pampadoms.

Peace Out, My fellow Punks of old.

:)

Ajaxx

OMG!! This is so disturbing!!!

Postby Ajaxx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:00 pm

They want me to pay to park my brand new Subaru Outback in their lots.

In the mean time, I'll don my newest Fred Perry shirt and walk my fancy arse pair of brown leather Clarks down to one of the new trendy bars, the ones with a cover charge, and sip expensive British Ales from 14oz glasses, all the while munching on Tapas, rosemary french fries and Pampadoms.

What tha [email protected]%* is up with that?!?!?

Ajaxx

Glorious Noise?? Give me ear splitting feedback!!

Postby Ajaxx » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:20 pm

Ok, you tapas munching, subaru driving, rosemary ale drinking MFs. Help me to understand. Where have things gone wrong? I am always saddened to think of ppl going out to pasture so soon in life, but maybe you can ease my distress by explaining why you have let yourselfs be lulled into the false comfort of the GR matrix. is it just an "old" thing? A "wife and kids" thing? Just decided to give up the fight once you lost the ability to see your feet under your expanding waistline? Why lose sight of the freedom that comes from the music that destroys the status que? Why buy in, sell out, and conform!?!??

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:10 pm

Ajaxx, it's sarcasm... mostly. I know Scotty does indeed drive a Subaru, but he's still as revolutionary as any young corporate executive can be! Right, Scott?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:19 pm

And there goes any smidgeon of punk cred we ever had...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:12 am

False comfort of the GR matrix?? Dude, I'm dripping wet with sarcasm. I eat irony for lunch. I am lulled by nothing.

Being a critic the bar scene in one particular midwestern town does not mean that I am somehow lulled to submission by the perverse suburban life of Bland Rapids. I am from this place. I grew up here. I have a damn good job here, and my fiance is finishing college here. If I lived in Chicago I'd be criticizing the sickening defacto segregation of that city. I just happen to live her, so I speak of what I know.

I find it funny that I make a backhanded comment about poser christian punks and the resulting thread turns into a diss on anybody living in Western Michigan. Ahh, how we digress.

I still do miss the Reptile House, or most importantly, I miss the scene that existed here in GR while that bar was a happening spot.

Artemis
GLONO Board Playa

Reptile

Postby Artemis » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:34 pm

The owner of the Reptile, however, didn't seem to need my money as much as he needed certain other things that we will not mention while John Ashcroft is monitoring this site.

This statement is, sadly, the true reason that Reptile closed. Al's over-fondness for certain recreational pleasures ruined the fun, kids, and nothing else.

Return to “Rants and Raves”