Reptile House is finally gone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

reptile house

Postby guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:21 am

Mark my text: One day soon, triggered by something you discover is new in GR but vaguely reminiscent, please support the effort by contributing your presence to the scene!! Don't waste your life's energy by just writing on your computers about the glory days of old - help generate new ones for the city you live in! Remember this random comment and call to action. There's more to the old Reptile House remaining in this city than simply a sign!

Artemis
GLONO Board Playa

Re: reptile house

Postby Artemis » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:17 am

guest wrote:Mark my text: One day soon, triggered by something you discover is new in GR but vaguely reminiscent, please support the effort by contributing your presence to the scene!! Don't waste your life's energy by just writing on your computers about the glory days of old - help generate new ones for the city you live in! Remember this random comment and call to action. There's more to the old Reptile House remaining in this city than simply a sign!

Er - I live in Chicago. But anyway, if there is going to be some new spot in GR reminiscent of Reptile, I'm all for it. Make sure you let the 18+ kiddies in, too, so my brother can go.

Um, and aren't you writing on the computer, too? Aren't you just as much of a life's energy-waster? Just checkin'...

Reptile house

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:13 pm

One of my favorite memories of the rep house was the night Scotty and Toxic Scott were open mouth kissing and grinding on the dance floor to EHC!

Prop

Postby Prop » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:53 am

What I miss most about Grand Rapids...

... my literally "God Damned" friends.

Folks, can I get up on my soap box here?

There was a time, say 1998 when I moved to old GR alone and innocent, sorta. I knew few and like even less. Then I met a man named Dano...

Dano was a guy that asked me over for a High Life at 8:30 in the morning. Seriously! I declined the first time but two days later my neighbor again asked me over for a beer, this time around 10 am...

Through Dano, I realized there was a whole subgroup of people existing in this town by pretending they were something other than their reality. They held down bank jobs, legal jobs, teaching jobs, etc... They would only let their hair down in the safety net of their close friends. Oh, and what close friends they were.

Dano's parties kicked the shit out of any Reptile House party. When's the last time you saw a cop threaten to handcuff a man with an accordian at a show?

What I'm getting at is that in GR, there were so few of us that truly believed in rock and roll, hedonism, drugs, and the simple idea that someone you could drink with was a true friend. Given that small set of people, every where you frequented you were bound to run into a friend.

Living now in Seattle, I'm bummed to go to shows and not see friends. I'm bummed to sit down at a bar and not have someone to talk to. I'm bummed to see local bands and not have them all know me by name.

I miss Grand Rapids because the rock and roll pond was really small and all of us were fish of the same size. Except Mark Hendershot, small dick, big tattoos, big ego, and the machismo to back it up. He was the shark in the pond.

mo alert

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:35 am

Mark Hendershot was a f*g HAHAHA

Mulberger

Flaming Lips @ Reptile House in 1993

Postby Mulberger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:53 am

I'm trying to find the master or even any generation cassette copy of the Flaming Lips live @ The Reptile House in Grand Rapids, MI in 1993. If anyone has this and would loan it to me I will make them a CD or DVD-Audio of it.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:37 pm

Wow, Grand Rapids is rapidly losing good bars. Didn't we mourn the death of another one recently?

"What I'm getting at is that in GR, there were so few of us that truly believed in rock and roll, hedonism, drugs, and the simple idea that someone you could drink with was a true friend. Given that small set of people, every where you frequented you were bound to run into a friend."

Hm - I saw Stereolab at the Reptile House in 1996 or 7 and I was shocked by the mob scene of goateed, black-spectacled hipsters. They literally lined the blocks and crowded the club to an uncomfortable degree. So I'm surprised to hear you say it was a small pool of rock fans. Or were those hipsters from out of town?

Anyway, why can't great indie rock clubs survive? Is it the same thing as with great indie record stores?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:01 pm

I'm trying to find the master or even any generation cassette copy of the Flaming Lips live @ The Reptile House in Grand Rapids, MI in 1993. If anyone has this and would loan it to me I will make them a CD or DVD-Audio of it.

Try contacting these cats: http://flaminglips.netfirms.com/livearchive.htm

GRGirl

Trip Down Memory Lane

Postby GRGirl » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:13 pm

Wow - was I happy to stumble upon this thread. I was just talking with an old friend of mine about the old Grand Rapids days. I remember some things very well from Reptile House, and other things not so well (too much skull beer one would guess). I remember the bathrooms, the girls dancing in the cages, and wet floors in the winter, actually being able to smoke inside, Cybill, Dan, Liz, Patrick and a whole slew of old faces I would love to see again. I remember interviewing a band in the back room and... ah I'll stop now.

Anyway - it was great to read these posts and take a trip down memory lane. Thanks!

Dug

Reptile House Siteings

Postby Dug » Wed May 05, 2004 2:23 pm

I was lucky enough to see Tracy Bonham, Trippin Daisies, & Minkx, as
well as the late great Warren Zevon. These concerts were so packed &
the club so unprepared that by the end of the night if you could get to
the bar, you drank what ever they had left. I also believe that I was
there the night of the imfamous recording (bondage night) that closed
them down.

Return to “Rants and Raves”