What bands do you not get (that you're "supposed"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

What bands do you not get (that you're "supposed"

Postby Dawg » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:49 pm

OK, so I figure on this web site we're all supposed to have a little music snob in us, but I bet there's some bands out that that you know you're "supposed" to like but just say, "what's the fuss?"

For me, I'd have to say Grandaddy and Sleater-Kenny.

I've listened to "Sumday" a few times now and just can't do it. The songs are virtually indistinguishable to me and are plodding and boring as hell - yet I see them all over top ten lists from '03.

On the other hand, S-K have been critics' darlings for years now and I don't get them either. It's crappy wanna-be punk and I can't stand the singer's warbly voice.

Of course this is all one man's opinion. I got no beef with folks that dig them, I just can't see it.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:17 pm

I, personally, love Grandaddy. Not too keen on S-K. I don't see the fuss in:

Newer Music-
Interpol
The Rapture
TV on the Radio

Older- (don't persecute me)
The Rolling Stones
The Smiths
Led Zep

JJLSmiles
GLONO Board Playa

Postby JJLSmiles » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Pink Floyd.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:26 pm

I'll second The Rapture... not funny, not particularly rockin'. What's left? A god-awful falsetto and spandex tights. No thanks.

Beat Happening. I love the idea of this band. Really. I even like some of the songs - "Indian Summer" for example. Unfortunately, Calvin's unstudied baritone drives me nuts. I've owned two of their albums, and I've returned them both. I just knew I'd never listen to them again. I guess I "get" why people like them, in fact I definitely "get" why people like them, but I just can't listen to that voice with any regularity.

Ministry. Can you say "reductive?" Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with their catalog, but everything I've heard is a thunderous, unwavering beat, a repetitive riff that counts for the song's "melody," and Jourgensen's unintelligible ranting. If you really must listen to "extreme" music, I suggest death metal. Hey, John Darnielle likes it, so it can't be all bad. Ministry, on the other hand...

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:33 pm

Replacements
Big Star
Most Springsteen

Mister Yuck

what bands do you not get

Postby Mister Yuck » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:36 pm

Radiohead

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:07 am

Mr. Guest up there is going to get me all defensive.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:18 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Mr. Guest up there is going to get me all defensive.

Methinks Mr. Guest is trying to stir the shit.

For me, Sleater Kinney suck.

And I do NOT for the life of me get why Tragically Hip are popular in Canada aside from the fact they're Canadian. Fer chrisssakes, so am I and no ones waitin' in the rain to hear ME warble!

For give me for I'm drunk.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:56 am

So, on the original post, I'm a big fan of both S-K and Grandaddy. Plus Big Star, what's up?

I can agree on the Smiths, sorta. It took me getting into solo Morrissey before I could dig the Smiths.

What I don't get is Steely Dan, the Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, and ahem...

the Beach Boys. Sorry, I said it. It's great fucking pop music but it's never felt more significant than bubble gum pop.

For more current bands, I don't think the Rapture is about getting it. It's about knowing that it's been done before by people far superior and that what they're going for might as well be a tribute.

I don't get Destroyer. I don't get cLOUDDEAD. I don't get Squarepusher. I can't fucking stand Aphex Twin! I remember when I sold back Aphex Twin to Vertigo Records in good ol' Grapids and the guy said "are you fucking kidding me? Did you mean to sell this back?"

To the one who doesn't get TV On The Radio: holy shit, that album is so out there that it's sideswipes you. Promise me you'll give it another chance.

To me, it's THE most soulful release I've heard since Al Green's Call Me. Honestly, that's my true belief.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:04 am

The White Stripes
The Strokes
Skinny Puppy
Any R.E.M. after "Automatic For the People".
Any Ani DiFranco after "Dilate"
Phish

Return to “Rants and Raves”