New Beasties Coming This Summer

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

New Beasties Coming This Summer

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:22 pm

Beastie Boys Return With To the 5 Boroughs.

"To the 5 Boroughs" features largely programmed backing tracks, with only a handful of live instrumentation. Mix Master Mike's scratching highlights "Shazam!" and "Right Right Now Now," while the boomimg bottom ends of "The Brouhaha," "Rhyme the Rhyme Well" and "All Life Styles" evoke shades of the group's classics like "Shake Your Rump" and "Root Down."

I hope it's good...

adrock

Postby adrock » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:26 am

Wow. New B Boys. These guys were my heroes from 90-94. My expectations are not high.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:48 am

There was some good stuff on Hello Nasty. Unfortunately, there was also a lot of bad stuff. We'll see. I remember after listening to Hello Nasty for the first time, thinking, "This is probably the last Beastie Boys album I'm going to buy the day it's released."

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:51 am

for me, the problem with hello nasty was the rhymes... freshest beats since paul's boutique, but some pretty weak ass rhymes... i guess it's hard to be a cheerleader for tibet, women's rights, and ironic pop culture and still rawk the mic...

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:36 am

creepy wrote:for me, the problem with hello nasty was the rhymes... freshest beats since paul's boutique, but some pretty weak ass rhymes... i guess it's hard to be a cheerleader for tibet, women's rights, and ironic pop culture and still rawk the mic...

I was just about to say the same thing. It's not like the Beasties were the most talented MCs on the block to begin with- but it seemed like on Hello Nasty, they purposefully regressed back to 1985 rhymes which just didn't jibe with the incredible production of the album.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:17 am

Not only that, but they're getting a little long in the tooth and that just disturbs me. Beasties with gray hair and crow's feet? That's not right...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:45 am

That's an awfully ageist thing to say, Shecky. Reminds me of the people who say that the Rolling Stones are too old to rock (when actually they're just too greedy). Tell that to Neil Young! Tell that to any of the old geezers who still kick out the jams.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:09 pm

They could just change their name to the Beastie Olde Men.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:51 pm

Jake wrote:That's an awfully ageist thing to say, Shecky. Reminds me of the people who say that the Rolling Stones are too old to rock (when actually they're just too greedy). Tell that to Neil Young! Tell that to any of the old geezers who still kick out the jams.

Well, I admit it's kind of age-ist, and I'm only half-kidding. My point is maybe they should change gears somehow to reflect their maturity. Maybe even not call themselves the Beastie Boys anymore. They're not those same snotty little brats they once were.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:35 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Well, I admit it's kind of age-ist, and I'm only half-kidding. My point is maybe they should change gears somehow to reflect their maturity. Maybe even not call themselves the Beastie Boys anymore. They're not those same snotty little brats they once were.

I agree with this point.; although reanaming themselves will just look too damn obvious. I borrowed Hello Nasty and wondered if I was missing something or just too old. I am now reminded they are about my age. So, yeah, guys mature a bit. After a while, you just look/sound stupid and the kids will just point and laugh.

Return to “Rants and Raves”