New Beasties Coming This Summer

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:51 pm

miss carol wrote:After a while, you just look/sound stupid and the kids will just point and laugh.

Which is exactly what they said about middle-aged rock-and-rollers. Why should hip hop be just a kid's game? I'm hearing some genre condescension here.

And they have matured. They no longer rap about doing it with a whiffle ball bat, or crap like that. They're still goofy, but why shouldn't a 30+ year old be goofy? You know?

I think the rhymes on Hello Nasty were great. I just didn't really care for the 50% of the album that wasn't hip hop. I loved the funky jams and shit on Check Your Head and Ill Communication, but the shit on Nasty just didn't work. Collaborations with Lee Perry and Cibo Matto just fell flat.

And even the beats on the hip hop tracks were kind of lame. The fact of the matter is that copyright and licensing laws no longer allow groups to put together the kinds of beats that I love: the densely layered concoctions of the Dust Brothers and the Bomb Squad. I miss that shit.

Mixmaster Mike added a new thing to that album though. Kind of bringing back the old school, two turntables and microphone thing. "Fuck a DAT," said MMM. He ripped it out of his DJ booth. All sounds on that tour came from MMM's turntables. If you've never had a chance to watch him in action, it's really rather remarkable how much sound and texture he gets out of just scratching the shit out of two records.

I'm interested in seeing what the B Boys come up with this time. If for no other reason than because I feel like we're kind of been growing up together...

jg

Postby jg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:14 pm

Hmmm, I dont know..I have been saying for years i wish they woud drop the "hip hop" element of their act and get into something else. yes, i do feel hip hop is more of a young man's game. Hell I think Rock n Roll is a young mans game.

You can tell Neil I said so, too.

strav

Postby strav » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:36 am

and neil would beat your ass and then write a killer song about it

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:38 pm

Hilaroius!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:52 pm

If for no other reason than because I feel like we're kind of been growing up together...

Old man look at my life/I'm a lot like you were...

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm

And speaking of "growing up" with the Beasties...

It always pisses me off to hear their revisionist history of the "Licensed to Ill" album as just an ironic goof of meatheads at the time. Come on guys, just admit it that you were all snot-nosed bastards...like we ALL were at that age.

It doesn't make you any less cool today, in fact it makes you even cooler 'cause you grew up.

And I reckon you can admit a bratty past and STILL be a Buddhist. Sheesh.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Dawg, I TOTALLY hear ya on that. They have wrote off those days in an annoying way. I mean, I thought it was funny. Girls dancing in cages, Bedweiser, bad hip-hop clothes.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:17 am

Return to “Rants and Raves”