John Entwistle Is Gone, Long Live The Ox!!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

John Entwistle Is Gone, Long Live The Ox!!

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:38 am

I was stunned by the news that John Entwistle had died of a heart attack yesterday. The Who is one of those bands who changed most of our lives; for me, my rock cherry was popped at the tender age of 8 by the original 1969 Tommy album. That was it; I've sold my soul to rock and roll, and that album is to blame, thank God.

I defy anyone to find me a *credible* band who ever slagged off the Who as anything less than a great band. The Who were one of the few bands to maintain even a shred of credibility during the first wave of UK Punk; Hell, even the Pistols respected the Who, and they barely even respected themselves at the time.

And John, he'd be there off in left field just standing there, quietly blowing our minds with his thunder-fingered bass solos. Need proof? Pick up The Who By Numbers and listen to the live version of "Dreaming From The Waist" to hear just a fraction of his amazing talent.

A lot of people thought that The Who's decision to carry on post-Keith Moon was a grave error. By this point, that's a toss-up; I still think that they found legitimate reason to exist as a live act, even though their final two studio albums were utter crap. However, with the Ox gone (and we all thought Pete would be next), the Who can be no more.

Goodbye, John. You're already missed. Thanks for changing my life.

<b>The Who is Dead, Long Live The Who.</b>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

The Ox

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:24 am

Anyone not understand why he's calleed Thunderfingers? Listen to the break in "My Generation" or the open measures of Quadrophenia to start. Hats off to the Ox.

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:09 pm

But why is he called the Ox?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

the ox

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:29 pm

I'm sure the news services will give a thousand answers as to why he was called the Ox, but I think it was due to his stage tendency to just stand there and make a thunderous noise without going wild. Kind of like an ox, I guess. I saw that it referred to his physical stature, but while he was tall, he was by no means huge.

I'll refer to my Dave Marsh bio to see what the true answer is.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:44 pm

The Ox was also the name of an Entwistle-penned number on the Who Sings My Generation EP. I think the nickname just kind of stuck. Do report back with Dave Marsh's account of the name though.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Dave Marsh doesn't mention why "The Ox"

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:44 am

Nope, I've scanned the Dave Marsh bio <b>Before I Get Old: The Story of The Who</b> (which I recommend sorta, although Richard Barnes' <b>The Who: Maximum R&B</b> is a better book and an excellent read). Although it didn't spill the beans about why he is called that, it did tell that at one point in 1974 John had a <i>twelve</i> piece group which he called the Ox. Dave Marsh (who countless times in this book proves to almost humorous extents how non-objective of a rockcrit he is) also has this paragraph to say about John:

Quiet and seemingly stable as (John Entwistle) was, he was by far the most peculiar of the Who. Even to the conservative Daltrey, Entwistle seemed to have "a very strange, narrow set of ideas." Even more than Roger, John though that rock bands worked, just like everybody else in the world. He refused to relax into luxury. Yet Entwistle was the most possession-oriented of the band. He had amassed a huge collection of electric basses, a substantial assortment of medieval armor, a pleasant city home in Acton, a lavish country estate, outlandishly equipped automobiles and fully stocked bars.

How Marsh can say that John was the most possession-oriented is ludicrous in light of Keith's excesses, but at the same time, it's unintentionally funny as shit to see the scene in the movie <i>The Kids Are Alright</i> where John walks through his house with the walls lined with basses!!!

Still miss ya, John. And yet the Who carry on with an anonymous bass player. <b>Fucking disgraceful</b>. Pete and Roger can tour together, I have no problem with that. They just shouldn't dare to call themselves The Who. Maybe, in keeping with the album titles, they should call themselves Who's Left. Say what you will about Led Zep. Now, in light of this tragedy with The Who, it makes Zep's departure that much classier.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:03 am

Who's Left is a great name.

I too think that it is absolutely disgraceful that Roger and Pete--the two guys in the band who hate each other--are still going to tour. The Who has long ceased to be relevant, but this newest development puts them past the embarassing level of the Rolling Stones and the Greatful Dead.

It's a shame, first the Nissan commercials, now this. They really were the greatest rock band ever.

Return to “Rants and Raves”