Audiogalaxy

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Andrew

Audiogalaxy

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:13 am

Does anyone know how Audiogalaxy was shut down? I thought it was p2p which would make it impossible to shut down.......

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:58 am

The RIAA sued them. Audiogalaxy uses a central server to keep track of who's online and what files they have. Users have to go to the Audiogalaxy website to search for files. All the RIAA had to do was sue Audiogalaxy and force them to change the way their website's search functionality displays the results. Very easy to shut down.

The only truly decentralized p2p apps don't use the world wide web for searching, etc. They will be standalone applications that users run on their own hardware. Things like the gnutella apps (Bearshare, Limewire) and WinMx are decentralized but more difficult for the average user to configure.

The problem is that you need to connect to a "server" to find out where the other peers are, so in a truly decentralized app, your peers should act as servers. That way, there is no single server to shut down. The problem with this, of course, is how do you initially connect to another peer if you don't have a central place to look initially. That's what makes the gnutella clients and WinMx tricky.

Lately, I've been using Kazaa-Lite. No shit. It's the hacked version of Kazaa. No spyware, no ads, easy to use. It will soon get shut down, I'm sure. But it's nice for now. Good luck.

Return to “Rants and Raves”