Mental Triggers

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Mental Triggers

Postby Baltimucho » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:28 pm

Whenever I travel (which is pretty often these days), I will invariably be reminded of Replacement songs --

First, on the plane at the first instance of flight-attendant rudeness that I witness (usually before takeoff), "Waitress in the Sky" comes to mind. Then, after I deplane (deplane! deplane!) the first "Baggage Claim" sign I see has me singing "Baggage claim is this way, so watch her walk down that way..." Then when I get to my hotel room, that first bump I lay out makes me immediately think of "One Good Dose of Thunder." (Kidding, just kidding on that last one.)

I'm just glad it's songs by the 'Mats and not...you know... something like the Honeycomb Hideout song.

What about you all? Any similar strong, repeated experiences with such mental triggers, traveling or otherwise?

(Oh, and please, please, please don't put me in a "worst newbie new topic" poll.)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:37 pm

Walking in the city, passing crazy folk = Fear's "I Love Living in the City"

Hating people at work = The Jam's "Going Underground" (The public gets what the public wants and I don't get what society wants...)

Getting up fucking tired and hating my job= The Diodes' "I'm Tired of Waking Up Tired".

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:53 pm

Sadly, most of my mental triggers are songs like Honeycomb Hideout. My last flight, however, I listened to The Ghastly Ones on my iBook as I lounged in first class. Free upgrade!

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:57 pm

the bends = the first time i ever rode on a plane, to italy. i was sixteen and on a choir trip and tiny and naive and given to fits of oh-my-god-this-is-all-so-WONderful. which it was.
sunny day real estate's diary = my first one night stand. actually a one night stand that i dragged out to two weeks thinking that i was in Love. the point is i couldn't listen to it for a month afterwards.
fugazi "nightshop"= getting off the bus & trudging into work but also feeling very smug and subversive because i was listening to fugazi! outside a mall!!! take that, you corporate no-goods!
...does anyone else listen to "nightshop" and secretly think that it should be choreographed, west side story style?

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:37 pm

So anytime India and it's religions come up in conversation, inevitably "and Justice For All" from Metallica comes to mind.

See, in high school is was a "banger" right. A headbanger, there it's been said. So, we were required to read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse for a class and it was assigned the same time that the album came out. I listened to it on headphones for weeks straight whilst Siddhartha was required reading.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Ah, I love this stuff. I've added to my buying list...yet again. And yes, I'd REALLY love to listen to my vinyl and enjoy my Metallica and Replacements, and ..and ...

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:49 pm

I teach high school English, and we read a book called "Night" every year (A first-person account of the Holocaust, if anyone's interested).

So anyway, during the two weeks that I teach it, every time I write the name of the book, say it out loud, or just look at the cover, the opening guitar / drum gunshots of the Springsteen song "Night" from "Born to Run" spring into my head.

Thanks God I love the song, it gets stuck in my head the rest of the day.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:51 pm

Driving through any bucolic countryside makes me think of the Waterboys "Life of Sundays."

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:12 pm

there's an old grimy shotgun beer bar in dallas that i used to frequent, (and by frequent i mean have to be run out after closing time 4 to 5 nights a week) and i always listened to lightnin' hopkins' "let's go sit on the lawn" on the jukebox there... now whenever i even drive past the place that song kicks in...

L.C.

Postby L.C. » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:11 am

Lately, whenever I see couples holding hands...the song Maps by YYY's springs to mind...and then I think about my various ex's

Return to “Rants and Raves”