Festival Express

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ted

Festival Express

Postby ted » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:10 pm

Now I'm no hippie, but I've gotta tell you this just released documentary on a 1970 tour across Canada with Janis Joplin, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Flying Burrito Brothers, Buddy Guy and others is amazing!

Actually, it wasn't really a tour, it was three gigs across Canada and in between each show all of the bands traveled together on a private train, with a film crew catching every minute of it. As you might guess there were all sorts of interesting jam sessions and lots of alcoholic mayhem. Also, there's some AMAZING live footage of all the artists, the highlights for me were a jaw-dropping version of "Cry Baby" from Janis, The Band ripping through "Slippin' and Slidin'" and Buddy Guy bringing down the house with "Money (That's What I Want)". I can say without exaggeration that as a cultural artifact, this easily ranks alongside Woodstock, Monterey Pop and Gimmie Shelter. I caught Festival Express at the Seattle International Film Festival the other night, but it will be getting a limited release ("in selected cities") this summer and a dvd release, hopefully with lots of extra footage, will follow sometime after. If you have the chance to catch this in a theater with a nice sound system, then don't pass it up. Even the Dead stuff wasn't that bad, but I would have opted for less Jerry, more Pigpen.

Return to “Rants and Raves”