Favorite Venues

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:33 am

So, does anyone have a gem of a venue that you think has not been given the respect it deserves? Likewise, any venue been given far too much credit for what it really is?

The Magic Stick is never given the respect of St. Andrews or Clutch Cargo's but I think it's my favorite Detroit hole in the wall.

On the other hand, for the West-MI crowd, the Intersection has to be the crappiest venue in the state.

Any thoughts?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:22 pm

Detroit:
Lilis in Hamtramck is my favorite right now, but it's too far away from where I can crash to go to many shows there. Gold Dollar used to be the all-time best place on earth until it closed in Aug. I love the Stick but since the demise of the Dollar, their prices have been through the roof and I've avoided them. Third Street is trying to become the new Gold Dollar, but their shows have been uneven in quality. I'm hanging in there, rooting for them, since it's my favorite bar and they have great pizza. It takes a hell of a lot to get me to Magic Bag, as I hate Oakland County and am afraid of the gestapo cops in Ferndale. St. Andrews, you can have, along with the Majestic. Both too big and crowded with bad bar service and stupid people there at every expensive big tour (read: Ticketmaster) show. I know of no other particularly cool places, but a pal says Lager House might be one.

Grand Rapids:
Intersection has always sucked ass, but not as bad as Billys used to. Reptile was cool, but an awful place to actually see a band. Where in the hell can you even see live music in Bland Rapids these days?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:46 pm

The Hideout in Chicago earns all the hype it gets. It is a fantastic place to see an acoustic show or full band blow-out.

Another Chicago venue just now getting some attention is the Beat Kitchen (2100 W. Belmont). The booking agent there is really trying to establish the club at the smae level as Schuba's, Martyr's, Empty Bottle (overrated) or the Hideout. Beat Kitchen has great sound, good beer and a decent clientele.

As for West Michigan, I can speak from experience that the Intersection sucked. The former owner ripped off bands (including mine) all the time and the sound system was crap. It's now under new ownership and I haven't checked it out.

The now late Harvey's was my favorite Kalamazoo stop. The sound didn't compare to Club Soda, but the atmosphere and staff there was VERY cool. It just closed this week. Sad, indeed.

I've also played Lili's in Hamtramck and agree with Jeff taht's a great place. Paychecks, however, is not.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:50 pm

I agree with the above post--The Gold Dollar (Detroit) was definitely the best place I've been to see a show. Packed, sweaty, smoky, and exceedingly loud with an absolutely disgusting bathroom--the way a rock n roll club should be. I was lucky enough to catch the Dirtbombs play there over the last week it was opened.

Is it true that it's being turned into a parking lot? How sad. I was really hoping someone would buy it and keep it going.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:16 pm

Lili's is a lot of fun - strange place to play, but a great rock bar for shows. I haven't been to many small clubs in the Detroit area, though.

Now that Harvey's is no more, that leaves West Michigan without any worthwhile venues, in my opinion. I'll add my voice to the chorus of those saying "the Intersection sucks ass." (or at least used to - like Derek, the bulk of my experience there was several years ago.)

My favorite place in Chicago (being that I've been to like three places) is the Elbo Room; I dig the atmosphere and the sound is usually fantastic, even on the stage. I don't know how it's regarded by the locals, though.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:30 pm

The Gold Dollar closed in August because the owner was burnt out from running the place and could not find someone to buy and run it in a way that he thought would be cool. Whether it is going to be turned into a parking lot or not is anyone's guess, but that seems like a rather ridiculous place for a lot. It's deeply in the Cass Corridor hood, in a neighborhood that's known more for the quality of heroin than the quality of life. There's not a single legitimate business anywhere withing walking distance, so why anyone would want a parking lot there is beyond me.

Gibson ES335

Postby Gibson ES335 » Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:58 pm

I miss the Syndrome, Kinetic Playground, and Internetional Ampitheatre. Those were the days........

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Feb 25, 2002 2:02 pm

I've always liked St Andrews in Detroit, but probably because I've never had to pay to get in. The Intersection in G.R. has been remodeled and works much better for rock shows now, but there's still no atmosphere in there. Billy's in GR has been turned into a remodeled Yuppie Jazz club.

I like the Metro in Chicago. I was there once when they oversold a show by hundreds of tickets. There were so many kids in there that I thought the floor was going to cave in.

I like Club Soda in Kzoo. I've seen so many shows there that I can't even begin to count them.

There will always be a place in my heart for Harvey's in Kzoo(may it rest in peace).

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:39 pm

Wow - Billy's - that reminds me that I haven't been in that building since it was Martini's and Silver (or Leslie, I forget which) played with Piccadilly Circus. Martini's was actually pretty cool for such a tiny place.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:53 am

Good God, we played there with Picadilly Circus? I don't remember that.

Return to “Rants and Raves”