Rolling Stones, Nirvana irrelevant?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Rolling Stones, Nirvana irrelevant?

Postby sab » Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:23 pm

How's this for shocking. Today we have this conversation at work about great rock bands. This 20-year-old intern, very smart guy, not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination, but not only can he not name a single member of the Rolling Stones, but he similarly doesn't know who Kurt Cobain is. I assume he must have spent most of his life under a rock, but even then, I'd figure he'd have heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

yup!

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:21 pm

My girlfriend has a little sister who is 15. She's into the current crop of Jimmy Eat World inspired pop. She didn't until this winter know who Weezer was, dispite the fact that she had amased a fair collection of Emo CDs. Once she heard their last album, she was shocked to find out that they'd been around for 10 years.

She recently asked me if I liked Mustard Plug! This kid needed some serious history lessons.

Unfortunately, the music industry doesn't educate undulating hoards of youth on the history of pop and rock music. When they do, it looks like that repackaged Ozzy reissue.

I am reminded of the lyrics to Paint a Vlugar Picture by the Smiths.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:33 pm

Sab, though you claim the 20 year old intern is not a dope I don't believe it. Who in America (or 90% of the rest of the world) can't name any of the Rolling Stones OR know who Kurt Cobain was? He's either being cheeky or he's a complete fucking moron. Sorry if he's reading this but Jaysus!
Last edited by D. Phillips on Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:37 pm

Not cheeky, and not a moron. He knows who the Rolling Stones and Nirvana are--at least to be able to identify them as bands that some people he might have known might like or something--but he doesn't know who's in the bands, what their songs are, etc. Scary, true, but it's a deeper distubrance than just some stupid kid who doesn't know dick about anything. Like I said, we hired him as an intern, and he's a fairly normal college kid.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:11 pm

C'mon, who the fuck doesn't know who Mick Jagger is? And Kurt Cobain? Is this kid even from our planet? That's like not knowing who Richard Nixon was or Bart Simpson. It's just impossible. Has he ever been to McDonald's?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:00 pm

Does Mickey D's have a Keith Richards Happy Meal now? Or did I somehow miss the Kurt & Courtney promo glasses free with the purchase of a Super Size fry?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:15 am

I'm saying the Rolling Stones and Nirvana are as much a part of American pop culture as McDonald's and since this dope you work with has never heard of Kurt Cobain, perhaps he doesn't know anything at all.

PS: With the way Courtney Love is handling Cobain's estate you can expect to see MANY product endorsements from the Voice of Generation X (TM).

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:32 am

He has to be taking the piss. Nobody could be that ignorant of the world around them.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:51 pm

You'd be surprised at what people can be ignorant of. I once knew a girl who wouldn't watch black and white movies because they were 'weird'. And I hate to think of how many people I've talked to that never read books.

Hell, speaking of ignorance, most people don't even know crop circles are a hoax...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:04 pm

What do you mean a hoax?

Ah, but could thsi guy really not know who Mick Jagger is and Kurt Cobain was? I think he's frontin'.

Return to “Rants and Raves”