Rolling Stones, Nirvana irrelevant?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

The Troof

Postby The Troof » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:20 pm

Hoaxes? Oh great - next thing you'll tell me that the White Stripes aren't really brother and sister and that the kid in Vines isn't really suicidal.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:19 pm

Two age-gap anecdotes, though not quite as shocking as Nirvana/ Rolling Stones.

This winter a guy on our hockey team, he was 22 or so, came into the locker room and asked some of the older guys if they'd ever heard of David Bowie. Seems the kid had just "discovered" him.

There's a bunch of of summer students in my office who are into music and the club scene. We were discussing the resurgent popularity of 80s music the other day. They stared at me blankly when I mentioned the Smiths. Of course, the knew the Holiday Rap by dj Svend and M.C. Miker G though...

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:28 pm

Huh?!?

MF wrote:Of course, the knew the Holiday Rap by dj Svend and M.C. Miker G though...

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:33 pm

Sorry, it should have read "Of course, they knew the Holiday Rap by dj Svend and M.C. Miker G though..."

My point being that even though these kids are interested in, and pretty well informed about music, they are more likely to know the pap of the 80s - like the Holiday Rap (see: http://www.nohelp.50g.com/m-holiday1.htm ) - then they are to know bands like the Smiths.

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:26 am

The anecdote about David Bowie isn't really that surprising.

Bowie comes on the radio/stero/whatever singing "The Man Who Sold The World" and someone turns and says - "Oh he's playing the Nirvana song".

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:55 am

Bowie does a terrible cover of the Pixies' "Cactus" on his new album. Uggh.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:56 am

How old was that kid when Nevermind broke? 9 or 10? I'm not that surprised by that... well, a little, but nothing's shocking.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:46 am

See, being a geezer I've already gone through this once - you Gen-Xer's were every bit as frustrating at first with your pop-culture ignorance. Now I sit back and smile as you get your come-uppance with the pesky Gen-Y kids!

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:28 pm

What happens when we run out of letters for succeeding generations? Do we just start over, like with hurricanes?

We shouldn't really rag on folks because of ignorance. It's not like you're born knowing about the coolest music, especially when so little of it is played. I know this doesn't apply to the Stones and Nirvana, but as far as the Stones go, how much interest could this guy possibly have in these ancient rockers? When I was about that age I was going back and trying to figure out who Big Star and the Sonics were because bands I knew about would drop their names. It wasn't like I was being exposed to bands like that in the media.

Is this guy interested enough in music to work backwards like that and absorb the influences of his favorite bands? I was, but I'm a geek. Although it can be an interesting and rewarding trail. Constant name-checking of Television led me to their stuff, their cover of "Fire Engine" led to the 13th Floor Elevators. I love tracing backwards like that.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:39 pm

My disbelief isn't that some people out there don't care enough about music to trace back the roots, but rather that ANYONE in America wouldn't know either who Mick Jagger OR Kurt Cobain is. That pretty much covers everyone out there from older folks to youngsters. I could even imagine there are some kids out there who don't know who Bing Crosby was but I doubt there's anyone who doesn't know who Frank Sinatra was. Cobain and Jagger are in that same realm. We're not talking about just musicians here who are relevant only to music fans. We're talking about massive pop culture icons who have risen above the fame of their profession to a permanent place in American idoltry (Jagger's nationality not withstanding).

Return to “Rants and Raves”