Why no love for (The London) Suede?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Why no love for (The London) Suede?

Postby Dawg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:45 pm

I watched a great documentary called "Live Forever" on DVD today. It analyzes the whole "Britpop" explosion of the mid 90's. You can guess who it focuses on : Oasis, Blur, and Pulp. No problem with that, they were the major players then. However, Suede was given short shrift again. They played about five seconds of "Animal Nitrate" but really went into no detail about their contributions.

I remember hearing the buzz about Seuede before any of the other major Britpop players back in 1994. They released two seminal Britpop-era albums with "Suede" and "Dog Man Star" and released a near-perfect album with "Coming Up" in 1997 (admittedly at the end of the Britpop days) but they get almost NO pub or respect now that people are beginning to look back on the 90's music scene as a whole. Why?

By the way- I would recommend this documentry to anyone on this board. The interviews with the Gallagar Bros (done independent of each other) were high-larious. Jarvis Cocker of Pulp came off as really interesting and intelligent, as did the singer of Sleeper. Damon Album already seemed like a beaten old man from his interviews They also interviewed 3D of Massive Attack, even though I guess technically they weren't "Britpop". Goes also into Tony Blair and the triumph of the new Labur party and their treatment of the musicians who helped get then elected.

Sorry to ramble here, but I am a bit of an Anglophile. Anyway, the point is, give Suede their props!!

eugene badinoff

Postby eugene badinoff » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:07 am

Saw that one, and it is a great documentary. The Gallagher Bros interviews alone make it worth seeing, particularly when the interviewer calls Liam androgynous.
Jarvis Cocker is a big weirdo.
And yes, there is very little mention of Suede. What's up with that?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:35 am

We got that documentary here at GLONO and it's in the line-up to be reviewed (as soon as I get a minute to do it).

I was a big fan of Suede back when. Saw them at St. Andrews in Detroit. They were a great live band and I really loved the first album.

They don't get much credit because they came up just before the big Brit Rock explosion. Then, Bernard Butler left the band and they lost some of their wind. I think the British media still reveres them, but they're not on the level of Oasis and Blur because they didn't tap into the young audience quite like those two bands did.

saerdna

Postby saerdna » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:43 am

from what i've heard butler and anderson have kissed and made up, and are recording a new album together as we speak. appearantly brett wants his demons back...

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:09 pm

Oh, i love Suede!
There's so many memories attached to their first two albums for me!
Listening to their eponymous debut takes me back to being 13, in the back of my parents' car while on a skiing trip. i was feeling utterly miserable and alone. oh teenage drama!
And Dog Man Star transports me back to when i was building a revell volkswagen beetle. painting it green! to be more precise: the smell of revell-paint reminds me of dog man star, and vice versa.
Isn't that all totally interesting?? Well, i don't expect anyone to really care, hehe.

Anyway, i would be delighted if bernard butler and brett anderson would form a team again!

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:21 pm

June 03, 2004
>> brett and bernard!
Today NME.com revealed the first picture of Brett and Bernard together in the studio, among with a quote from 'a friend of Brett' that:

"It’s all going well. They started writing in January and they demoed 18 songs. Rather than be called Anderson & Butler their new band will have a name but it’s not confirmed yet. They will start proper recording very soon. When they were in Suede they also were at their most creative in the studio, so everyone’s every optimistic."

May 11, 2004
>> statement from brett!
From the suede.net forum:
I know there has been a lot of speculation and rumor about precisely what I'm up to so I thought I'd set the record straight. Firstly I can confirm that me and Bernard are working together again.We've written about fifteen songs so far and even though it's early days I can honestly say that I believe the work to be up there with some of the best things we've ever done. We have been rehearsing with a drummer and a bass player who will be part of our new band. I can't tell you what we will be called yet but it will not be Suede or Anderson and Butler.
We'll be entering a London studio to start recording in June so I'm hoping that you will hear something early next year.

Also I've been working on a solo album with a guy called Fred Ball. Some of you might have heard his Pleasure album from last year. The material is more programmed than the Bernard stuff but still song based.
Danish fans will have heard one of these songs, ' Love Is Dead ', at the recent Copenhagen show.
The writing of this album is close to being finished too but I have a less clear plan as to when it might be released.

WELCOME TO THE NEXT LIFE

Brett

source:http://www.essentialsuede.com/News.htm

saerdna

Postby saerdna » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:38 pm

that article literally brings tears to my eyes...

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:09 am

saerdna wrote:that article literally brings tears to my eyes...

you must be a visionary!
'The Tears' new album will be out june 6th.

tracklisting:
Refugees
Autograph
Co-Star
Imperfection
The Ghost of You
Two Creatures
Lovers
Fallen Idol
Brave New Century
Beautiful Pain
The Asylum
Apollo 13
A Love As Strong As Death

first single will be 'refugees', which seems ok, but not very spectacular: video real player &video windows media player

snippets of b-sides to the single;
'break away'
'southern rain'
'feels like monday'

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Awesome! It's strange to see a thread one started last summer get resurrected out of nowhere, but...great news!

Any word on a US release? The last Suede album "A New Morning" wasn't released in the US - I had to buy it om Amazon.

ETA: I just watched the clip and thought it was wonderful. Hearing those patented B. Butler guitar fills and Brett's beautiful, hooky chorus - it's 1994 all over again! ( Not that I didn't appreciate and love Richard Oaks, now, but Bernard Butler - just wow)

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:11 am

yeah, isn't it great they're together again? they really do bring out the best in each other! i'm going to see them june 26th, quite excited about that.
oh the album is called 'here come the tears' by the way. i don't know about the US-release, but i think you should be able to find out more about it at www.thetears.org . site is still onder construction, but the forum is very much alive and the administrator there knows all about the official news.
word is 'refugees' isn't one of the best songs on the album, i think they chose it because it's quite radio-friendly.

Return to “Rants and Raves”