To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:12 pm

My wife and kids gave me my iPod for Christmas 2002, and it really is the coolest (material) gift I've ever been given. At any given time I've got around 100 cds worth of playlists and a couple unabridged audio books on it.

I've never been really big on portable music devices--don't like tuning out the world with earphones, but for the drive to and from work or traveling, it's perfect. The freedom to carry music for just about any mood without hunting through a bunch of cds is the key for me.

I had a flash memory portable that was really tiny but only held about 2 cds worth and was a pain to navigate. When I gave up on that, I used a portable cd/mp3 disc player and would just burn 10 hour cds--an even bigger pain to navigate but did a better job of suiting my moods.

iPod, yes!

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:19 pm

My mini has a 4 gig hard-drive which is enought to hold about 70 of my CD's. I keep my CD's anyway, as I not only like the covers/notes but need them for my car stereo. (and i have over a thousand so ditching them is NOT practicle) I can't afford the new BMW 5 series with seamless iPod integration. Not until it's 5-10 years old anyway.

Be aware that the iPod will be registered to your Mac/PC and if you switch computers it may be difficult/imposssible to change your iPod music selection.

I started running again religiously this summer for the first time in two years to lose my college/office job weight. I bought the iPod to help me stay motivated and have more fun running. It's made my life 20% more enjoyable because it never skips and I don't have to hear the crappy top 40 music at the gym or work now.

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:51 am

Actually, what separates the Haves and Have Nots is not necessarily owning said material...those who have to beg, deliberate, moochie(i.e. Christmas presents), or save to purchase said material:have nots...and those who desire it, see it and buy it:haves

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:46 am

Alias wrote:moochie(i.e. Christmas presents), or save to purchase said material:have nots

I'm a have not then. Whatever.

November 20, jaimoe0.

L R
GLONO Board Playa

Postby L R » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Ok I have to chime in here. Whether you want to face it or not, iPod and other devices of this type are the future of music. Having an ipod will totally change your life.

So people just suck it up and spend the money, the new ones are about 100 bucks cheaper. I love Lp's and Cd's and I am a major collector of music. I have about 800 lp's and over 1000 Cd's. Cd's and records will always be around as digital music doesn't have the same appeal as a record or CD cause you can't hold it or feel it, but what it does have is great organization and it is beyond portable. The thing is also that Cds and Lps take up space and require storage. What takes up 2 rooms of my house, I can now hold in the palm of my hand. Also, you don't have to get the most expensive one. Because you store all of your music on your computer anyways and then swap it in and out based on what you want to hear. I have about 60 gigs of music on my computer and I have a 10 gig ipod. I went on vacation last week brought the pod and some computer speakers with me and I had music all weekend. it was great.

I didn't sit there and load up everything up to my computer as already I have it on CD. What i did was just start putting new music on it and stuff I really loved from my collection on there. It is also great for trading music with others. If you commute to work it is - a must have. Also, there is nothing better than going on a road trip and having your Pod with you for the car stereo.

I listen to it at work by plugging it directly into my computer speakers as cd's tended to slow down my computer at work. I listen to it on the way home on the train & I walk in my house and connect it to my stereo and I never lose a beat. If you are a serious lover of music you will totally enjoy it, having access to a huge amout of music is just awesome. The shuffle feature is really cool and for a party, it just can't be beat. You set up a play list or just hit random, and you've got music all night long.

iPod just happens to be the best of what is available right now. I'm sure in 10-20 years people will say "Check out that old school iPod, it's so big and only holds 40 gigs"

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:27 pm

Heitzie wrote:My mini has a 4 gig hard-drive which is enought to hold about 70 of my CD's. I keep my CD's anyway, as I not only like the covers/notes but need them for my car stereo. (and i have over a thousand so ditching them is NOT practicle) I can't afford the new BMW 5 series with seamless iPod integration. Not until it's 5-10 years old anyway.

I'm confused...

I've been obsessing over whether or not to purchase an iPod for about two months now, mostly because I wasn't sure whether or not I could listen to it while driving (without using the earplugs -- something about unsafe driving conditions). But, looking at the Apple website, it seems to me that for a nominal fee, you can obtain hardware that allows you to tune into a lower-frequency station in the car, and listen that way. Am I wrong?

Or is it just a case of you not wanting to pay for that, which I can understand.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:43 pm

No, you're right. That's how it works and it works beautifully.

I do not have an iPod yet. I have a Sony MP3/CD Player (Sony D-NF610, retails for $79.99) and it works like a champ for me right now. I burn about 8 hours of music (mp3 at 192kb/s) to a CD. I keep several of these mix cds in a small CD wallet in my book bag. I have about 100 hours of music on my various mixes, each with it's own mood or genre. Now, I understand that an iPod can organize all your songs into playlists and render obsolete my CD wallet, but I also don't have $400 to throw down on a protable music device. I will surely get one when the price drops a bit more though as I am totally impressed with the iPods my friends have.

dam05 wrote:
I'm confused...

I've been obsessing over whether or not to purchase an iPod for about two months now, mostly because I wasn't sure whether or not I could listen to it while driving (without using the earplugs -- something about unsafe driving conditions). But, looking at the Apple website, it seems to me that for a nominal fee, you can obtain hardware that allows you to tune into a lower-frequency station in the car, and listen that way. Am I wrong?

Or is it just a case of you not wanting to pay for that, which I can understand.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:33 pm

dam05 wrote:But, looking at the Apple website, it seems to me that for a nominal fee, you can obtain hardware that allows you to tune into a lower-frequency station in the car, and listen that way.

I had one of those radio tuners for my iPod and it totally sucked ass. The FCC regulates the power of those little radio transmitters so the volume was way too quiet for any real listening. I ended up installing an auxillary audio input into my car stereo so now I just plug my iPod into the jack in my glove compartment and everything's great.

I love my iPod, but it definitely changes the way you listen to music...

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:52 pm

I've got a 20 gig IRiver H120 that I'm happy with. It's not as pretty as an Ipod, but I don't give a flying euphemism. The menus aren't that easy to scroll through - but I mostly listen either on "shuffle" or to an album or to an "artist," so that doesn't matter either.

What rocks is that I can record directly to 44.1 kHz wav (pretty much equivalent to CD quality) or to a number of mp3 frequencies - great for band rehearsals and concerts. It has a built in mic, a line-in/mic jack, and an optical input jack for recording.

Right now, I've got about 2600 mp3s on there, plus a CD-quality recording of a recent concert we did.

I don't think you can make playlists with it, but you can make playlists with the your mp3 player on your computer, download it to the I-River, which will then play those playlists. (Hasn't been something I've felt the need to do.)

Bad points are that <strike>it only works with Windows, and</strike> unless it's XP, you hafta install some software on your computer for the USB to recogize the disk. (EDIT: I was wrong about the "only works with Windows." I plug it into Macs all the time, and they recognize it as an external disk.)

It has FM radio too.

And it plays Ogg Vorbis format (though it doesn't record in Ogg).
Last edited by Lep on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:42 pm

Jake wrote:I had one of those radio tuners for my iPod and it totally sucked ass. The FCC regulates the power of those little radio transmitters so the volume was way too quiet for any real listening. I ended up installing an auxillary audio input into my car stereo so now I just plug my iPod into the jack in my glove compartment and everything's great.

I love my iPod, but it definitely changes the way you listen to music...

Mick uses his all the time and it works perfectly, from what I've seen.

Return to “Rants and Raves”