To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:40 am

Ok, its time for me to join the club. However, I'm kind of on the fence between an iShuffle and an iPod mini. I was originally all ready to get the 30GB iPod Photo, but I realized that I honestly do not need to carry my entire CD collection with me wherever I go.
The main thing I don't like about the iShuffle is there is no screen. But on the other hand, for just travelling, a 4GB mini might still be overkill. Then I went to the Apple site, and found this:

Maybe while the iShuffle was "too cold", the mini "too hot," this is just right. It's small, not an unnecessarily large hard drive that will still hold about 40 CDs worth of music, and it has a screen on it! Its like they read my mind!

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:55 am

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:51 pm

don't get the ipod mini as they are discontinuing it. apple is replacing with the nano instead.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:35 pm

Or you could get the Motorola ROKR (get it, Rocker)-
cellphone / camera / organizer / iPod all-in-one.

Available only from Cingular.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Too many toys...dammit make it stop!

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:41 pm

My iPod sorta died on the weekend...got stuck at track 222 (mid-point on The Honey Dripper from Oscar Peterson's Night Train it just quit playing). The damn thing just sat there with the backlight on and nothing happening/working. Couln't make it skip, play, pause...the click wheel didn't even "click"

I let the battery run out and when I plugged it back in it was empty. Not a single track, playlist, or any sign that it had once held 3000 songs.

Anyone else have something like this happen? It's not even a year old...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:42 pm

MF wrote:My iPod sorta died on the weekend...got stuck at track 222 (mid-point on The Honey Dripper from Oscar Peterson's Night Train it just quit playing). The damn thing just sat there with the backlight on and nothing happening/working. Couln't make it skip, play, pause...the click wheel didn't even "click"

I let the battery run out and when I plugged it back in it was empty. Not a single track, playlist, or any sign that it had once held 3000 songs.

Anyone else have something like this happen? It's not even a year old...

Mine had distorted music for a bit. I drained the battery then recharged and everything remained the same.

Have you thought about the toddler factor?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:16 pm

Chris G wrote:,.

Or you could get the Motorola ROKR (get it, Rocker)-
cellphone / camera / organizer / iPod all-in-one.

Available only from Cingular.

This is amazing for me, since I'm a huge Mac cultist, but I'm not terribly impressed with the ROKR. Knock $100 off the price and it would be gold. Do I really need a phone that plays a whopping 512mg of music? I know you can also add a flash card for extra storage, but still...for $250, I don't know.

Also, the new version of iTunes is out. It now has a 'lyrics' slot for each song so you can attach lyrics to it just like album art. Now all someone has to do is come up with a widget to automatically download lyrics for each song you play on iTunes. THAT's pretty sweet.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:26 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Also, the new version of iTunes is out. It now has a 'lyrics' slot for each song so you can attach lyrics to it just like album art. Now all someone has to do is come up with a widget to automatically download lyrics for each song you play on iTunes. THAT's pretty sweet.

Wow, I didn't read that. You're right, that is sweet.

Yeah, I think the ROKR looks like a real waste. I mean, is the Shuffle so big that it won't fit in your other pocket? Give me a great design and a decent couple of gigs so I can ditch my 30 and I'd sell my soul on a biscuit for the iPhone. But until then, I'll just keep both devices (seperate) in my man purse.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:59 pm

Miss Carol - I'm not sure what the toddler factor is - perhaps my iPod expecting too? A little iPod shuffle for the family (will it be blue or pink?). Acutally - toddler MF isn't allowed to play with the iPod, she saves her tech-lust for my cellphone, so I don't think that's it.

The iPod seems to be fine now though...I was just curious to see if anyone else had heard or experienced a similar wipe out.

Return to “Rants and Raves”