To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:44 pm

Right now, I've got about 2600 mp3s on there, plus a CD-quality recording of a recent concert we did.

What concert? What band? Fess up, Lep.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:04 pm

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:38 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:
November 20, jaimoe0.

Noted. Now if I can just get a job...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:23 pm

Alias wrote:Actually, what separates the Haves and Have Nots is not necessarily owning said material...those who have to beg, deliberate, moochie(i.e. Christmas presents), or save to purchase said material:have nots...and those who desire it, see it and buy it:haves

I am a have not. sigh. You name it, I have it not....

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:59 pm

Jake wrote:I had one of those radio tuners for my iPod and it totally sucked ass. The FCC regulates the power of those little radio transmitters so the volume was way too quiet for any real listening.

I tried one of those and could never get a decent signal. It was like straining to hear the perfect station just as you're moving out of range. I use the kind of cassette adapters they've been selling for years with portable cd players. Costs about $20 and works like a charm.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:14 pm

miss carol wrote:
I am a have not. sigh. You name it, I have it not....

What about panache? You have to admit, you've got loads of panache.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:14 pm

johnhl wrote:I use the kind of cassette adapters they've been selling for years with portable cd players. Costs about $20 and works like a charm.

Not if you don't have a cassette deck!

andrew
GLONO Board Playa

Postby andrew » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:20 am

I broke down and bought one b/c I live in Asia and I've been downloading a lot of music by default anyway. Thing is, it seldom works as it should. The battery tends to last two hours rather than its alotted 8 and many of the 'tunes' I first put on it no longer will play. It freezes up all the time too, especially during long distance runs.

Unsatisfied customer.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:02 pm

Jake wrote:Not if you don't have a cassette deck!

I have an auxiliary cable that I plug the iPod into. It works great! The nice people at the car stereo place where I got my XM put it in for me. It's just a standard Radio Shack cable.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:11 pm

booker wrote:I just can't do it. I love my CDs and I love my CD covers and I love my CD booklets.

What are you talking about? You don't get rid of all your CDs when you get an iPod, and just because you have an iPod doesn't mean you have to buy music through iTunes (I buy a few things at iTunes, but when I buy online, I mostly buy music from Emusic.com).

FYI-
I've had my iPod for about a year now. I use to have a Sony Discman. I didn't think an iPod would be so much better... and oh so expensive... All B.S. I can hardly imagine now, not having one.

About 90-95% of the music on my iPod is from my CD collection. About the same time that I got the iPod (I should say, "about the same time that my wife gave me an iPod for our anniversary"), I moved our 600+ CD collection to DiscSox files. They are very similar to the more popular CaseLogic sleeves, except that the DiscSox sleeves hold both the cover art AND the back cover “Tray Card” art. When I buy new music, I still most often buy the CD, I just load it onto the iPod, and put the CD into a sleeve and place it in the drawer (in alphabetical order, of course). Everyone that I know that has an iPod, which is now almost everyone I know, says the same thing: Once you get an iPod, your CD collection becomes your back-up storage.

I still have all the cover art, I just have the convenience of having several hundred CDs on a device the size of a pack of cigarettes. No more fumbling through a collection of CDs in a CD booklet. No more of this: “Oh, damn, of the 24 CDs in my CD booklet, I didn’t bring *INSERT ALBUM TITLE HERE* with me, so I cannot listen to it now.” Never, never again… And you don’t have to carry a bag around for your CD booklet!!! Just think, walk around anywhere, not carrying any bag or anything, with just this tiny little gadget in your pocket holding your entire music collection to shuffle through at your whim.

I have about 3000 songs on this thing (Song List as of last month) and it is not quite 2/3 full. I like to select the entire library and put it on random play. Not just hours, but days worth of music, playing nothing but songs I like, but with the random surprise of a radio style programming (ie.: I don’t have to stop and think about what to play next, yet it’s always a song I like), and no commercials.

And you can then “BE” a radio if you choose. By attaching an iTrip:

…or a variety of other similar competing products that allow you to broadcast for about a 200 meter radius. You choose what radio frequency to broadcast at, just choose a number that doesn't have a radio station broadcasting in your area.

Dreamin wrote: I didn't want an iPod until I saw the "mini" in candyfloss pink.

After my wife bought me the iPod for our anniversary, she got so envious. She was still dragging around a “pink” Discman and a bunch of CDs. You want to hear clever marketing- Apple launched the iPod-Mini the week before Valentines Day, and offered free engraving. So for Valentines I gave her the Pink iPod Mini, engraved on the back with a Valentine message.

Return to “Rants and Raves”