To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:39 pm

Chris G wrote: You want to hear clever marketing- Apple launched the iPod-Mini the week before Valentines Day, and offered free engraving. So for Valentines I gave her the Pink iPod Mini, engraved on the back with a Valentine message.

Aww, that's cute. Good job!

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:55 pm

Chris G, in response to your response to my post...my neurosis prevent me from enjoying an album without taking the CD out of the case; putting the CD in the player; looking at the cover once or twice; maybe reading a little bit of the booklet (again); and taking the CD out when I'm done. Psycho, right?

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

iPod USB question

Postby dam05 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:14 am

So, with all this talk about the pros and cons of the iPod, and a friend of mine showing his off all weekend, I decided to pick up my own.

Now, after throwing down multiple hundreds of dollars for it and its required accessories, my computer (which is only about 18 months old) is telling me that I'm using a HI-SPEED USB cable, but that I only have a non HI-SPEED USB port. Is this something I can bypass, or is there some sort of upgrade (hardware, software, or otherwise) I can purchase to make this technology compatible?

I don't know if this matters or not, but I have a Toshiba laptop

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: iPod USB question

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:41 am

dam05 wrote:I'm using a HI-SPEED USB cable, but that I only have a non HI-SPEED USB port. Is this something I can bypass, or is there some sort of upgrade (hardware, software, or otherwise) I can purchase to make this technology compatible

You can use your existing hardware. Transfers won't be as fast as if you had a high speed usb port. You can add one for $15.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:25 pm

dam05 wrote:Is this something I can bypass, or is there some sort of upgrade (hardware, software, or otherwise) I can purchase to make this technology compatible?

I don't know if this matters or not, but I have a Toshiba laptop

You can also use Firewire (IEEE 1394) if you have that on your laptop.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm

Jake wrote:You can use your existing hardware. Transfers won't be as fast as if you had a high speed usb port. You can add one for $15.

Thank you sir...I picked one up during my lunch hour. Everything's working fine now...no need for me to have the overwhelming feeling of buyer's remorse now!

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:44 am

Hey...!

I was talking to my dad about Ipods about a week ago, discussing pros and cons, all that whatnot, and we decided that we might get one in a few months maybe, to see if prices went down. Anyhow, my mum overheard the conversation and lo and behold, my dad got the Ipod for their anniversary one week later.

I'm downloading the Hives into it right now.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:00 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:Hey...!

I was talking to my dad about Ipods about a week ago, discussing pros and cons, all that whatnot, and we decided that we might get one in a few months maybe, to see if prices went down. Anyhow, my mum overheard the conversation and lo and behold, my dad got the Ipod for their anniversary one week later.

I'm downloading the Hives into it right now.

Why do I get the feeling Dad's going to have to fight for his iPod?

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:32 pm

So, the end to the story for me is... I got one. Well, I hinted very, very, VERY strongly for my fast-approaching birthday and now know for a fact that I'm getting the new 40G model. Yahoo!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:42 pm

looking forward to the results!

Return to “Rants and Raves”