To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:38 am

Here's a question for the ones who own an Ipod, if you buy one of those microphones, in what quality can record you sound?

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:14 pm

The Griffin iMic saves audio as 128kbps WAV files (mono only). I was pretty surprised at how clean sounding it is, and how well it picks up ambient sound. Not too shabby for real basic use.

BoogieMan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BoogieMan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:53 am

Joshua wrote:The Griffin iMic saves audio as 128kbps WAV files (mono only). I was pretty surprised at how clean sounding it is, and how well it picks up ambient sound. Not too shabby for real basic use.

So you can plug the Imic together with a microphone into the Ipod, that's alright for me. I'm not too good at this audio thing, how good is 128kbps WAV in quality?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:36 am

I was one of the clowns who got the original 5GB iPod, which is still working perfectly for me 2 years later. It hasn't changed my life, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to not have it.

A few points:

If you want to get a good deal, go to Apple's online store and look for the discounted refurbished models. They come with the same warranty as new.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .1.0?83,47

If you're having problems with your iPod crashing, reformat the drive, reinstall the iPod software, and upload your music from scratch. (This has worked for me well on my Mac--your Windows-based iPod mileage may differ.)

Radio transmitters for the iPod all suck ass. Just think about the fidelity of radio and you'll understand why. If your car doesn't have a tape deck, be sure to budget for the audio in cable in the glovebox--you'll want it.

Don't expect the price to come down too much. Apple does not lower prices like other computer companies--they just stop making the old models and release the new ones with more features and similar pricing. Especially considering they are selling every one they make.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:18 am

Thanks, Sab. I didn't know they had refurbished ones. The cheapest I can find right now is $250. I wouldn't mind finding a 10 GB one for less.

So, if I have a PC I need a program to convert the files, correct? How much does that cost? Will I need anything else besides a tape adapter for my car?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:28 pm

anothermonkey wrote:So, if I have a PC I need a program to convert the files, correct? How much does that cost?

No. iPods play regular old MP3 files. They also play their (somewhat) proprietary AAC format. They do not play WMA files though.

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:32 pm

sab wrote:Radio transmitters for the iPod all suck ass. Just think about the fidelity of radio and you'll understand why. If your car doesn't have a tape deck, be sure to budget for the audio in cable in the glovebox--you'll want it.

This is very true. I just got a 40G IPod (the perks of being a groveling only child!) for my birthday and I also received a radio transmitter doohickey from a friend. It blows; it's fuzzy and inconsistent and you have to put it practically INSIDE the radio for it to transmit. I'm trying to stealthily repackage it and take it to Best Buy for a cassette adapter. Or a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog DVD.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:37 pm

Stacey K wrote:
This is very true. I just got a 40G IPod (the perks of being a groveling only child!) for my birthday and I also received a radio transmitter doohickey from a friend. It blows; it's fuzzy and inconsistent and you have to put it practically INSIDE the radio for it to transmit. I'm trying to stealthily repackage it and take it to Best Buy for a cassette adapter. Or a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog DVD.

Well, I am full of shit. Can't argue with that. The two transmitters I've seen in use worked fine. But it looks like the majority do not work, or at least don't work well.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:27 pm

Stacey K wrote:
This is very true. I just got a 40G IPod (the perks of being a groveling only child!) for my birthday

Any good tips on how to do this? I've been trying for an IPod from my mom, and so far it hasn't done squat.

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:13 pm

Well, Sir Steve-O, I went home for a weekend and cleaned relentlessly. Then I showed them a print-out from the Apple website singing the IPod's praises and showing what it did. Then I reminded them of how many CDs I had and how important music was to me. Then I waxed on about how much music there is at my radio station and how expensive it'd be to go buy it all.

Then my dad, who's an indie recording artist, cut me off and said, "Sounds awesome. She needs one. Let's get it."

So it all depends on how cool your parent is, I guess. Good luck!

Return to “Rants and Raves”