Olympics mix

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Olympics mix

Postby sab » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:47 am

This from an article on ESPN.com:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ple/040820

While many events here are being held in front of half-empty arenas, beach volleyball was a complete sellout on Thursday night. I paid 40 Euro (about $50) for a ticket from a scalper, but I was just happy that I didn't have to pay a cover charge and listen to a bouncer warning me not to touch the girls.

Not to imply that the athletes are scantily clad or anything, but even the bar manager at Hooters would refuse to serve them.

True, the men wear long, loose-fitting shorts, tanktops and baseball caps when they compete. But the women wear little bikini bottoms and jog bras. I know this will sound incredibly sexist, but I was really pulling for the Norwegian pair on Thursday, on the slim chance that they would celebrate a victory by taking their tops off.

The action in the sand is always intense.

And yet, all that skin still isn't enough for beach volleyball. Oh, no. Just so that you can't possibly get bored, there is also the bikini dance team, which runs onto the sand to huge applause during every break in the action. They make the Laker Girls look like an Amish quilting circuit.

The bikini squad dances to a bad mix of songs pulled off bootleg Jock Jam CDs and old LPs stolen from your weird uncle's collection. Here is a partial playlist from Thursday night: "Uptown Girl;" "Centerfold;" "Doo-Wah Diddy;" "Proud Mary;" "YMCA;" "Volare;" "Respect;" "Hey Ya;" "Tubthumping;" "Booty-licious;" "A Little Less Conversation;" "That's the Way (I Like It);" "Crocodile Rock;" "Satisfaction;" "Tequila;" "Hot Stuff;" "Give Me Some Loving;" the themes from "Aquarius," "Rocky," "Friends" and "Austin Powers;" "Iko-Iko;" "The Blue Danube Waltz;" and the particular crowd favorite, Barry Manilow's "Copacabana."

Okay, Jim Caple's wink-wink, nudge-nudge sexism aside, that's one damn fine mix they were playing at the beach volleyball.

Return to “Rants and Raves”