The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

Postby nobodygirl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:35 am

Because I have to return all the books I have checked out from the library this week, the alternate title/devious purpose of this thread is to discern what y'all think I should read next. So I'm selfish. Wanna fight?
Have just started: <i>The Half-Life</i> by Jonathan Raymond; I'm only on the third chapter so it's too soon to say if I'm going to dig it or not
Finished last week: 1.<i>Love Is The Drug</i>; by Sarahbeth Purcell--I'd recommend it to fellow neurotic indie rock girls (and boys) who namedrop bands and authors and pop culture minutiae way too much and make compulsive lists 2. <i>Oblivion</i>, by David Foster Wallace; I was previously a Wallace virgin and I <i>still</i> haven't recovered from this 3. <i>The Princess Diaries: Princess In Waiting</i>;...you shut up.

--nbg.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:42 am

Read a hilarious book a few months back called "Little Green Men" by Christopher Buckley (he's actually William Buckley's son). It's a satire on UFO conspirists (spelling? word?).

Speaking of conspiracies, I'm also reaing a good book right now by Noah Hawley called "Conspiracy of Tall Men."

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:17 pm

Finally got around to the Isaacson biography of Benjamin Franklin. A real page turner. Nobody else embodies our national spirit or those incredibly heady times the way BF did.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:30 pm

Barabajagal wrote:Finally got around to the Isaacson biography of Benjamin Franklin. A real page turner. Nobody else embodies our national spirit or those incredibly heady times the way BF did.

On my "to read" list.

Currently:
Just finished Manda Scott's Boudicca: Dreaming the Eagle
Just started David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas
In the middle of Jane Jacob's Dark Age Ahead

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:39 pm

I am currently in the middle of The Well of Lost Plots, by Jasper Fforde, the third in a series about a detective named Thursday Next who lives in an alternate reality where the Crimean War is still going on and everyone loves books and reads a lot. It's sort of hard to explain, but they're fun, funny books -- especially enjoyable if you were an English major like me.

Up next: possibly Vernon God Little, which was recommended to me by a friend. Also, I read a great review in Salon of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke.

Also, booker, I read a great book by Joel Achenbach called Captured by Aliens: The Search for Life and Truth in a Very Large Universe. You might enjoy that one as well.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Katy wrote:Also, booker, I read a great book by Joel Achenbach called Captured by Aliens: The Search for Life and Truth in a Very Large Universe. You might enjoy that one as well.

Just by the title, I like it already. Thanks. I'll let you know when I check it out.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:23 pm

School started last week, so since then my reading has been all textbooks. Before that I had started The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. I'm kind of disappointed I don't have time to finish it, because it was getting good.
And Miss Carol, I've been meaning to pick up that Jane Jacobs book. How is it so far? It wasn't getting as many good reviews as her other books.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:41 pm

steve-o wrote:And Miss Carol, I've been meaning to pick up that Jane Jacobs book. How is it so far? It wasn't getting as many good reviews as her other books.

This is the first of her books that I've read. She makes a lot of assumptions and her evidence appears unattributed (have just found the Notes section). Jacobs picks on the usual suspects; when she discusses imperialism, the West is at fault. There were no empires (regardless of how small) before Rome. The disappearance of tribes apparently didn't really occur during Rome's empire-building days, either. Also, I just read that Americans' curiosity about Canada is almost non-existant. Read literally, that means all Americans: Conan O'Brien never came to Toronto to tape his show; Gov. Schwartzeneger (sp) never campaigned on runaway production to Canada. Indeed, Americans never produce films/tv/commericals north of the 49th parallel. No colleges host Canadian Studies programs either. In short, I'm finding the same types of holes I found in Klein's No Logo. And I'm on side! I'm afraid Ms. Jacobs is preaching to the choir.

I will finish this and perhaps my opinion will change; often it's in the execution. I'm on chapter 5 at present.

ETA: This NY Times review sums up my feelings thus far.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk
So-so. Some really solid pieces and some really forgettable pieces. Wait till it gets marked down.

Everything's Eventual: 5 Dark Tales by Stephen King
I was in the mood for King. Haven't read anything of his for a while (with good reason), so I gave it a shot. Some of his best work, along with some real crap. But any other way and it wouldn't be King, would it?

Black Butterflies by John Shirley
King gave me a taste for some horror. This didn't satisfy it. Pretty much awful, never once sent a shiver down my spine. I reached for my well-worn H.P. Lovecraft collection instead.

Ok, next up is a penance read for all the summer junk - maybe the collected works of Nabakov, or re-reading some Theroux travel books at least.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Just finished a trashy romance from the late 50's set in the antebellum south maybe a decade before the civil war. Awful and hilarious. I've got three more books like this in my "library" that I need to tackle. They're more like JD novels though, instead of vaguely risque romance. The book was called Tidewater, and no, I can't remember the author's name even though I just finished it on Sunday.

Currently reading:
Song Book by Nick Hornby (almost done, like it a lot)
The Art of Rhetoric by Aristotle (a "guilt" read, since I've been reading so much crap lately. Can't say as I'm enjoying it, but I intend to finish it.)

Up next:
Underworld by Don DeLillo

Return to “Rants and Raves”