The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:57 am

[quote="creepy"]reading ""you shall know our velocity" by david eggers... quote]

Good pick.

Stu Nahan
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Stu Nahan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:59 pm

My Friend Leonard by James Frey. It's his second book and it picks up where the brilliant A Million Little Pieces left off.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:55 am

My manager set aside a FIRST EDITION AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF ANANSI BOYS just for me!! All I can say is thank GOD for employee discounts. Guess I'm reading that next.

WildMercurySound
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby WildMercurySound » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:39 pm

Stu Nahan wrote:My Friend Leonard by James Frey. It's his second book and it picks up where the brilliant A Million Little Pieces left off.

I need to get that, I thought AMLP was amazing. I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:27 pm

WildMercurySound wrote:
I need to get that, I thought AMLP was amazing. I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.

A Million Little Pieces has been mentioned a lot by customers in the past. On Friday(?) the NYT ran a story about how it is now an Oprah pick. Good for him.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:38 pm

Anybody here want to boast about "not reading books." I haven't read a whole book in its entirety in more than 15 years. My attention span is way too short. I read on the internet, newspapers,some magazine articles now and then but that's it. The thought of reading an entire book of fiction repulses me. It seems like the GloNo gang here reads some interesting stuff. But do you agree with this.........
"Just because you read entire books doesn't make you smart and just because you don't doesn't make you dumb."
Are those insurance salesman types still reading lame-ass Tom Clancy novels on airplanes? I haven't flown in years because the airlines treated me like shit before September 11th so I can't imagine how bad it is now.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:35 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Anybody here want to boast about "not reading books." I haven't read a whole book in its entirety in more than 15 years. My attention span is way too short. I read on the internet, newspapers,some magazine articles now and then but that's it. The thought of reading an entire book of fiction repulses me. It seems like the GloNo gang here reads some interesting stuff. But do you agree with this.........
"Just because you read entire books doesn't make you smart and just because you don't doesn't make you dumb."
Are those insurance salesman types still reading lame-ass Tom Clancy novels on airplanes? I haven't flown in years because the airlines treated me like shit before September 11th so I can't imagine how bad it is now.

Yup. Heard of Dan Brown? Nope. Good. Save yourself.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:53 pm

miss carol wrote:Yup. Heard of Dan Brown? Nope. Good. Save yourself.

Hahaha....I was finally pressured into reading the Da Vinci Code recently...and I'll cop to liking it. It's nowhere near the be-all end-all that it's touted to be though. Just an average book, that just happens to paint the Catholic Church in a strikingly unfavourable light.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:03 pm

[quote="infectiousdisease"]

Hahaha....I was finally pressured into reading the Da Vinci Code recently...and I'll cop to liking it. It's nowhere near the be-all end-all that it's touted to be though. Just an average book, that just

You're more generous than I am. I read it and found the book to be piss poor even by commercial/pulp fiction standards. I could go on, but no time.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm

i also read the da vinci code lately, to see if it was really as exciting as some said and as badly written as others told me. being prepared for both the positive and negative side, i must say i did enjoy it, even if the ending left a slightly bad taste in my mouth. but it's nice entertainment. definately doesn't make me want to read his other books though. and since i know what happens, there's no need to go see the movie now. no tom hanks for me, yay!
i just started mark z danielewski's 'house of leaves', which also got recommended to me and should keep me busy for some time

Return to “Rants and Raves”