The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 am

check out "Y:The Last Man" by Brian K. Vaughan, Shecks... Anything by him is great really. Also "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi... It was recently made into an animated film, and the film's great as well...
in fact, here's a trailer for it...
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PXHeKuBzPY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 am

Ooh - I borrowed my friend's Watchmen trade mag a while back - great book. It just works on so many levels. Definitely looking forward to the movie, though I expect much to be lost in the translation.

I got a Sony Reader a while ago, so I'm on something of a perpetual reading binge. It has included

State of Denial, Bob Woodward
God is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
Spook Country, William Gibson
The Great and Secret Show / Everville, Clive Barker
The Foundation trilogy, Isaac Asimov
Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson
Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson
The His Dark Materials trilogy, Philip Pullman
Perfect From Now On, John Sellers
American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis
A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne
Everything with Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle

A couple of those were dead-tree versions because e-books are not always available. But that's just about everything I've read over the last 9 months or so, plus a number of short stories, including some Thompson and Bukowski.

And currently? A volume on anxiety and phobic disorders. Good times!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I've been on a graphic novel kick for a while now, ever since I finally picked up The Watchmen. If you have not read it, I can't recommend it highly enough. It absolutely blew me away.

Also The Invisibles by Grant Morrison or Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Amazing shite.

i was on a trade paperback (they're the same as graphic novels right?)kick a while back. i read the entire dc comics' 52 storyline. it was unbelievably amazing and i highly recommend it. i also read the messiah complex storyline in the x-men a while back. I highly recommend that one as well. the trade paperback should be out shortly. it's the best thing the x-men have produced since operation zero tolerance, which is my favorite comic book storyline of all time.

sadly though i haven't been reading comics much lately. i am really behind on my marvel and have no idea what's going on with the initiative. i need to get back into reading them again. i'll probably start in the summer. i really want to read the secret invasion crossover.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Josh B. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am

Joshua wrote:The Foundation trilogy, Isaac Asimov
Everything with Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle

I've been thinking about reading these. Any good? I'm always concerned that the Asimov might be a little too dated.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Josh B. wrote:I've been thinking about reading these. Any good? I'm always concerned that the Asimov might be a little too dated.

The Holmes stuff is good, and pretty much exactly what you expect. I mostly read it because I enjoyed a few stories that I read a long time ago, and you can download text files of all of it from Gutenberg.org, so it's well suited to an e-book reader.

The Foundation trilogy is fantastic, and as with all the best sci-fi, it's really timeless and doesn't feel dated at all. This is mostly because - also like all the best sci-fi - it's not about a particular vision of the future (which is inevitably made quaint with just a few years' development of real-life technology) but rather about society, politics, faith, and how a civilization copes with its own downfall and those people who work not to prevent it, but to ensure that society survives the aftermath. It's one of those long-term stories; generations pass in its telling and by the end of it, the characters you meet at the beginning are elevated to a quasi-mythical status. BUT, it's not nearly as convoluted as, say, the DUNE saga. I think Asimov really wanted to make his work accessible to a wider audience to get his message through.

If it's something you've been threatening to read for a while like it had been for me, you'll not be let down.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 pm

miss carol wrote:I'm almost done In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan and Persuasion by Jane Austen.

How strange, you and my wife K have the exact same reading list.

I quite liked In Defence of Food (you can read the condensed version here).

I also really enjoyed Pollan's Botany of Desire - an indepth look four crops that changed the world: Tulips, Apples, Marijuana and the potato. I had no idea the history of the apple could be so compelling.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:07 pm

MF wrote:How strange, you and my wife K have the exact same reading list.

I quite liked In Defence of Food (you can read the condensed version here).

I also really enjoyed Pollan's Botany of Desire - an indepth look four crops that changed the world: Tulips, Apples, Marijuana and the potato. I had no idea the history of the apple could be so compelling.

I blame the Austen on Masterpiece Theatre and Colin Firth.

I saw Pollen speak at the ROM recently, plus he was on The Daily Show when Omnivore's Dilemma came out and I've been a fan ever since without even reading that title. He's clear and articulate; two rare qualities in non-fiction these days, I'm afraid.

And on that note, Simon Winchester has a new book out The Man Who Loved China and is touring in support. (Man, there was a time when that would have been a band. Work is taking over my life, it seems.)

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm

I just finished that long-ass book on the Beatles by Bob Spitz. It was a really good read, though I hated the ending (they break up! two of 'em die!).

Really, the ending part gave short shrift to the recording of Abbey Road, which on many days is my favorite Beatles LP. Would have liked to have known more about the idea behind that side 2 medley, for instance.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Baltimucho wrote:Really, the ending part gave short shrift to the recording of Abbey Road, which on many days is my favorite Beatles LP. Would have liked to have known more about the idea behind that side 2 medley, for instance.

I read that a while ago. And you know, I think Abbey Road gets skipped over all the time in the documentation of the Beatles. Seriously, even look at the Anthology series, both video and audio. What do we get from the Abbey Road era? Not much. A cool outtake of "Come Together," Paul's demo of "Come and Get It," a demo of "Something," what else?

"Octopus's Garden" (Takes 2 & 8), "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" (Take 5). Gee, thanks. Just what we needed!

"Because" (vocals only mix), and a remix of "The End." Seriously, that's all they could come up with?

Maybe they recorded that album so efficiently that there were no outtakes. Or maybe they considered the whole Let It Be debacle as their demoing/rehearsal period, so when it came time to actually record a real fucking album, they just got right down to it. No baloney.

Still. I wish there were more cool outtakes. Or stories. Or anything! What the fuck?

///

Back on topic: I haven't picked up a book since I got my iPhone...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:14 pm

creepy wrote:check out "Y:The Last Man" by Brian K. Vaughan, Shecks... Anything by him is great really. Also "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi... It was recently made into an animated film, and the film's great as well...

"Persepolis" looks great - that goes on my list.

I tried, but just couldn't get into "Y" for some reason. I did really enjoy "The Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman, tho. A zombie book that's not really about zombies.

Joshua, ditto on the Watchmen movie. If it works, it could be a truly awesome film but I'm afraid it'll become an X-Men movie, somehow. I tend to share Alan Moore's opinion that it's 'unfilmable'.

Return to “Rants and Raves”