The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:43 am

- Am just finishing Lew Puller's "Fortunate Son," a autobiography by a Vietnam vet who had both his legs blown off. Clear-eyed, straight-ahead prose. There are fascinating accounts of battle and the war experience, but a lot more in the book, too.

- Plug for a friend's Web site (that I help her with): Here's an interview with Jake Lamar, a Paris-based American writer of romans noirs.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 am

Wading through Franny and Zooey by Mr. Salinger and 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I'd like to thank this thread for turning me on to David Mitchell (Black Swan Green) and Neil Gaiman.

Glad to hear it! Mitchell was short listed for the Mann-Booker again this year, but that's as far as he got. Bastards.

I'm eight chapters into Jonathan Letham's autobiographical The Fortress of Solitude. While he's a great writer, I'm finding this very difficult and tense---it definitely feels lived. Of course, this is a good thing, just daunting.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm on my "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" kick, so I just finished up One Hundred Years of Solitude (loved it), and have moved on to The Unbearable Lightness of Being (decent).

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:31 am

I'm into Righteous Pilgrim, a biography of Harold Ickes, a Chicago Progressive leader and Secretary of Interior under FDR. Given our current crop of n'er-do-wells, one can only hope to see the likes of Mr. Ickes in a more enlightened age to come.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:52 pm

about to start mark z danielewski's new one 'only revolutions'. it looks beautiful, hope the story will be great as well

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:04 am

I just started reading 'An American Insurrection: James Meredith and the Battle of Oxford'

This is about the 1962 Ole Miss riots and the inside story on how James Meredith became the first black man admitted into the University of Mississippi.

A great read so far, I cant put it down.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Tim wrote:I just started reading 'An American Insurrection: James Meredith and the Battle of Oxford'

This is about the 1962 Ole Miss riots and the inside story on how James Meredith became the first black man admitted into the University of Mississippi.

A great read so far, I cant put it down.

That sounds like a good one. I'd be interested to hear your full appraisal when you've completed it.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 am

So, Tim, what's the verdict on An American Insurrection?

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon May 14, 2007 11:08 am

I recently finished reading Steven Johnson's Everything Bad is Good for You.

I don't know that I would call it a "review", but I talk about it on my blog:
http://gigantico.squarespace.com/

-----

Right now I'm about half way through Kevin Kelly's Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World.

Return to “Rants and Raves”