The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. I also have a pile of books I've started and the Dusty in Memphis that I have yet to finish. Right now, it's all about manuscripts.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon May 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke was excellent. Almost like a Jane Austen comedy of manners--a historical fantasy about English wizards in Napoleonic wars.

Am finally reading and being depressed by The Closing of the American Mind , by Allan Bloom. 17 years or so after being too-cool-for-school to bother, and old enough to actually understand it, damned if it isn't extremely well-argued and accurate.

That other Bloom, Harold Bloom's Jesus and Yahweh: The Names Divine is a mighty interesting look at the "characters" of OT Yahweh, NT "Yeshua," and the "theological invention," Jesus Christ. Bloom is probably the most famous literary scholar in the world and I would recommend his book, Genius, to anyone who reads--if only to encourage further reading. Considering himself as a "Jewish agnostic/gnostic," Bloom takes an idiosyncratic look at these personages as literary characters penned by several authors. What Bloom says about Yahweh and Allah would be sure to drive the fundies of both nuthouses even more off the deep end then they already are.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon May 14, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm about halfway through Jonathan Lethem's You Don't Love Me Yet. Not bad - lot's of rock music and fringe-dwellers, which always makes for a good read.

And sex - lots of sex.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I'm about halfway through Jonathan Lethem's You Don't Love Me Yet. Not bad - lot's of rock music and fringe-dwellers, which always makes for a good read.

And sex - lots of sex.

Yep, I read that. Not as dense as Fortress of Solitude, and accessible and a relatively quick read. But I still want to know more about the kangaroo.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 am

Chris G wrote:So, Tim, what's the verdict on An American Insurrection?

Its a great book. I would recommend it to you, especially if you have an interest in southern and civil rights era history. The author did extensive research on the event, and provides a comprehensive day by day, hour by hour account of the crisis from various perspectives of federal marshals, politicians, and people who were there to witness it. You also get lots of insight into what was going on in the Kennedy administration during the crisis.

It amazes me as I always thought it was just a "college riot" that got out of control. It was much more than that and in fact most of the rioters weren't students but various racist groups (the Klan), right wing extremists, and segregationists from all around the country who were trying to start a new civil war. It wasn't just a riot but more like a battle between the federal and the Mississippi state government. Mississippi's governor was completely inept who talked alot of racist rhetoric to the people (much like Alabama's George Wallace), but privately knew he was fighting a losing battle. He wanted to put on a "show" of resistance for the public.

One interesting fact is that there was a proposal by Mississippi state senators to vote for seccession from the Union, It didn't pass, but just imagine if it did!

I have been to Ole Miss a few times. Its really a beautiful campus. I think the school and the state are really doing their best to make ammends for their racist past. Its amazing to think it just happened a generation ago. I would suggest you pick it up sometime.

As for what I'm reading now, I just finished 'Paradise Alley' by Kevin Baker. Its another book i would recommend. Its a piece of historical fiction on the NYC draft riots that happened during the Civil War. Its a long one, but an excellent read. I know it got great reviews when it came out a couple years ago.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 pm

I'm reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene now, and it's surprisingly quick and easy to read considering it's about string theory and particle physics.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat May 19, 2007 11:47 pm

Spacemen 3 & The Birth of Spiritualized by Eric Morse

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri May 25, 2007 11:21 pm

Tim wrote:One interesting fact is that there was a proposal by Mississippi state senators to vote for seccession from the Union, It didn't pass, but just imagine if it did!

I can see it now...President Trent Lott.

Ewwww!

Then again, he wouldn't be one of ours.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat May 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Simon Winchester's The Crack at the Edge of the World: He's a great writer with the rare ability to make a dry subject (in this case, geology) interesting.

Now I'm going to plug a book I edited: David Bagby's Dance with the Devil: A Memoir of Murder and Loss, which debuted at number 10 on the Globe and Mail's bestseller list. He retells how his son Andrew was murdered in Pennsylvania by the son's ex-girlfriend, Shirley Turner. She then fled the US for Newfoundland and faced extradition. During this case, she discovered she was pregnant with the dead man's child, and gave birth to Zachary. The Bagbys had a dual fight on their hands: extradition and custody. Turner was arrested, then released on bail, given temporary custody of her baby, whereupon she killed then thirteen-month old Zachary and herself.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat May 26, 2007 3:29 pm

miss carol wrote:Simon Winchester's The Crack at the Edge of the World: He's a great writer with the rare ability to make a dry subject (in this case, geology) interesting.

Now I'm going to plug a book I edited: David Bagby's Dance with the Devil: A Memoir of Murder and Loss, which debuted at number 10 on the Globe and Mail's bestseller list. He retells how his son Andrew was murdered in Pennsylvania by the son's ex-girlfriend, Shirley Turner. She then fled the US for Newfoundland and faced extradition. During this case, she discovered she was pregnant with the dead man's child, and gave birth to Zachary. The Bagbys had a dual fight on their hands: extradition and custody. Turner was arrested, then released on bail, given temporary custody of her baby, whereupon she killed then thirteen-month old Zachary and herself.

Oh god, that's terrible.

Return to “Rants and Raves”