The What Are You Reading? Thread, v. 2.0

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 am

The Walking Dead is awesome... Tragic as fuck, and more so with every issue... Brutal shit... Invincible by Kirkman is really good too. Superhero stuff, but not in a gay way...

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Josh B. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:54 am

creepy wrote:The Walking Dead is awesome... Tragic as fuck, and more so with every issue... Brutal shit... Invincible by Kirkman is really good too. Superhero stuff, but not in a gay way...
The last issue of Walking Dead was nuts. The whole bait and switch at the begining was allmost too much. I was kind of pissed at Kirkman for pulling a fast one on me. Issue 50 better live up to expectations. I just recently got into Invincible and really like it. I just hope Kirkman doesn't spread himself too thin.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Just finished <i>Searching for Bobby Orr</i> by Stephen Brunt. Nice insight into the hockey world at the time (say 1965 - 1975), but a little bit oblique because Orr is apparently saving the more personal details for an autobiography.

Now reading <i>This Is Your Brain On Music</i> by Daniel Levitin. It's about how your brain processes music, by breaking it down into elements of rhythm, pitch, timbre etc. I'm really intrigued by the idea of how much we enjoy music depends on what music we've heard before. Something that is probably kind of obvious to all of us reading this website, but now I understand it better in scientific terms. Pretty cool stuff.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Joshua » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:Now reading <i>This Is Your Brain On Music</i> by Daniel Levitin.
That sounds really interesting. My dad was all about the connection between rhythm and brain function and did some amazing work in the area. I'll definitely check that book out.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:02 pm

Joshua wrote:
That sounds really interesting. My dad was all about the connection between rhythm and brain function and did some amazing work in the area. I'll definitely check that book out.
For serious. You should enlighten us GloNoids about your pop sometime - a very cool guy. His career is pretty relevant to GloNo in general.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:50 am

I've got a few books going right now:

The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History by Jim Walsh

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Vampire Loves by Joann Sfar

and You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

I usually don't read more than one book at a time, and my fear with four going at once is that I won't finish any of them, although I'm pretty close on Vampire Loves.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:40 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:For serious. You should enlighten us GloNoids about your pop sometime - a very cool guy. His career is pretty relevant to GloNo in general.
Could be a great GLONO feature.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:54 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I've got a few books going right now:

The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History by Jim Walsh

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Vampire Loves by Joann Sfar

and You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

I usually don't read more than one book at a time, and my fear with four going at once is that I won't finish any of them, although I'm pretty close on Vampire Loves.
i've got about 30-40 books that i started over the years but never finished. aside from comic books (which i don't even read much now) i don't read much. i am though going through and finishing up stephen king's the dark tower series. i'm currently on the wastelands and i'm almost done. i'll probably throw some chris rice in there at some point.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm

An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy 1917 - 1963

Great inside stuff on the Kennedy family and JFK's approach to politics and world events. It's night and fucking day from the President we have today. Kennedy had many, many faults (as a human and as president) but he approached the job with amazing curiosity and and understanding of the value of differing views in policy making. He surrounded himself with the brightest minds (regardless of political inclination or idealogy). Just look at the speeches Ted Sorenson wrote for JFK. Boggles the mind that such erudite thought came from a poltical machine. Faults aside, he was awe inspiring.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Post by gdavis5446 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Just finished Northline by Willy Vlautin of Richmond Fontaine. As good as his last one the Motel Life.