best of R.E.M. and the last couple of years.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

best of R.E.M. and the last couple of years.

Postby grounded5am » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 pm

in another post we have discussed r.e.m. and their cd's so i was wondering what everyone's top 5 r.e.m. cd's are. also what is everyone's top 5 cd's for the last 2 yaers as i am still looking for new music. so far i have received some excellent recommendations.

here's my top 5 r.e.m. cd's

1. around the sun
2. reveal
3. life's rich pageant/automatic (a tie)
4. green
5. up

these are based on my favories as well how i often i play them. some didn't make the cut because i don't listen to them enough.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:05 pm

1. Murmur
2. Reckoning
3. Fables
4. Document
5. Some of Green

I stopped listening to 'em after that.

As for the last year or so-there's too many to count, but here's a few off the top of my head:

1. Romantics - 61/49
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
3. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
4. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
5. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:22 pm

You can stream Rem's whole new album here.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:47 pm

Jake wrote:You can stream Rem's whole new album here.

Argh, not if you don't have RealOne Player, you can't.

The Outsiders (feat. Q-Tip)

This just made me highly, highly suspicious....

--nbg

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

p.s.

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:05 pm

no disrespect intended, I love me some REM
(huge parenthetical digression: Michael Stipe was my first non-real-person crush, when I was thirteen. As I am a girl, it is safe to assume that this incident perhaps stemmed some of my Issues), but I can't picture Q-Tip being in the same room with the guy.
1. Document
2. Fables Of The Reconstruction
3. Automatic For The People
4. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
5. Out Of Time (very, very nearly got disqualified for "Shiny Happy People," but I realized that I love the rest of it too much)

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:12 pm

ok, i'll jump on this one:

1. Automatic For the People
2. Murmur
3. Life's Rich Pagent
4. Document
5. Green/Fables

These are definetely the ones that I still listen to the most. Eponymous is an incredible compilation too.

I didn't start listening to them until 'Life's Rich Pagent' came out. My sister came back from college and let me borrow it. That was one of the cds that opened up my eyes and got me interested in the college rock scene (I was only in junior high at the time). I lived in a small town and really had no access to most of the 'alternative' bands, so my sister would bring me home tape copies of all these great bands.

I still think REM puts out great music (Up is their best cd after Bill Berry left) but nothing recent comes close to Automatic For the People.

Nothing like being drunk on cheap beer in a dorm room at 4am and listening to 'Everybody Hurts' and 'Nightswimming'....oh the good old college days!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:18 pm

1. Fables of the Reconstruction (one of my favorite records ever)
2. Reckoning
3. Lifes Rich Pageant
4. Murmur
5. Chronic Town/Automatic for the People

Never heard anything after New Adventures in Hi-Fi (absolutely hated all their singles since then & so stayed away). But New Adventures had some good stuff on it.

Faves of last 2 years: The Wrens, The Shins, AC Newman

Some faves of last two years but didn't come out in last two years: Boris Heavy Rocks and Flood, Weezer Pinkerton, Dusty Springfield and Nancy Sinatra

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:25 pm

I'm a huge R.E.M. fan (hence the screenname). They were IT for me when I was 13 - THE band that changed my life, introduced me to rock music, yadda yadda yadda.

personally, I'm struggling right now because I heard their new record in its entirety yesterday, and - as i suspected - its shit. I became disillusioned after Reveal, and this is the straw that'll break my back. I was hoping they'd stumble out of the land of flaccid mid-tempo grandstanding for this record, but it's snooze land from verse 1. It's like going to see your favorite aunt in the nursing home, but thats life, i guess. Bands get old.

I've got tickets to see them at the Ryman Auditiorium here in Nashville in October, and I figure that will be my last stand. I've always wanted to see them in a theatre, and nows my chance. I'm hoping it will be a great show and I can go out on a high note, grab a copy of their records when they come out every 3 - 4 years, and remember the good old days when there was nothing more meaningful to me.

That said, I'll try to make a list, but this would change day to day...

1. Document
2. Life's Rich Pageant
3. Murmur
4. Up
5. Reckoning
6. Fables (the first four songs on Fables are the greatest EP ever recorded. if only the second half was as strong...)
7. Automatic for the People
8. Monster
9. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
10. Green
11. Out of Time
12. Reveal
13. Around the Sun

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Here's mine:

1. Life's Rich Pageant

That's pretty much it. Although I really love that "Orange Crush" song.

"Everybody Hurts" makes me seriously want to take an axe and chop people's arms off. Random, innocent people. Every time I hear it, I am immediately consumed by sheer unadulterated hatred. Everybody gets their arms chopped off, motherfucker! Some time...

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:42 pm

Jake, I think it's just because deep down, you're hurting too.

Return to “Rants and Raves”