Queen - Yes, Queen!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Queen - Yes, Queen!

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:10 pm

Just saw Shaun Of The Dead, which besides being fucking hilarious, also features the best use of Queen in a motion picture since Wayne's World. Got me thinking what a great band Queen was.

There was some awful stuff (especially in their later years), but vintage Queen kicks ass. I've been playing 'Keep yourself Alive' over and over today. Their first 4 albums were pretty damn good, in particular. Plus, they did have one of the coolest album titles ever - 'Sheer Heart Attack'.

So how bout it - any love out there for Queen? I CANT be the only one...

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:56 pm

omg, SO much love. When I was younger I had this preconcieved notion that they were horrible and cock-rock (hee hee hee) mostly because I didn't like "We Will Rock You" and I just kind of dumped it and them in that category. It took several years and "Wayne's World" for me to realize my mistake. granted, my Queen exploration/amassing of back catalogue is stilted somewhat by my limited funds and need to purchase everything else ever, but they're one of those bands that my fellow-music-nerdy-sister and I have had several conversations about when we have the "We love___. ___ are great. Why do we not have more ___?" conversation.
Mr. Shecky, is the film all gory? The boy wants to see it, but I have concerns.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:08 pm

nobodygirl wrote:Mr. Shecky, is the film all gory? The boy wants to see it, but I have concerns.

Yeah, but not super-gory like Dawn Of The Dead. It's mostly funny gore, and there's not tons of it. Of course, I think of the 'Evil Dead' trilogy as a comedy, so there ya go.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:11 pm

Also, did ya know Brian May actually made his guitar, the one that makes that trademark almost-synth sound? Built it himself. Now that's rock, baby!

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:13 pm

Underrated by hipsters, overrated by mainstream rockers(always a little too high ahead of The Clash and Ramones on those stupid ass vh-one lists I get on my satelite ) For me it's love hate with the music of this crazy mix of hetero/homo guys. "Fat-Bottomed Girls" and "Keep Yourself Alive" whip the llamas ass, "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You" bloated and ruined by funny boys and sports fans. Brian May's unique guitar jamming doesn't get anywhere near the worshipping it deserves!
As a young rocker I remember a Circus magazine cover from the mid 70's--Queen versus Aerosmith! I'd have to give early Aerosmith the edge, although the later stuff is the equivalent of a 12 year old boy's mother hanging his bedwet sheets on the line for all the neighbors to view! Michael Landon's hair looks swell it's Christmas time in hell!

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: Queen - Yes, Queen!

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:40 pm

[quote="Mixmaster Shecky"]Just saw Shaun Of The Dead, which besides being fucking hilarious, also features the best use of Queen in a motion picture since Wayne's World. Got me thinking what a great band Queen was.

quote]

Have you ever seen the "classic" 1980 movie "Flash Gordon" where Queen did the soundtrack? I remember kids in the neighborhood running around playing super heroes singing like Freddy Mercury!

I like Queen for the most part, but always a band who I pass by when I'm music shopping. And I have to say 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' is a damn good song.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Queen - Yes, Queen!

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Tim wrote:Have you ever seen the "classic" 1980 movie "Flash Gordon" where Queen did the soundtrack? I remember kids in the neighborhood running around playing super heroes singing like Freddy Mercury!

I like Queen for the most part, but always a band who I pass by when I'm music shopping. And I have to say 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' is a damn good song.

Yes. Now let us never speak of Flash Gordon again.

Did you ever hear Dwight Yokum's cover of 'Crazy Little Thing', believe it or not? It's excellent.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:29 pm

that's cuz dwight's a badass...

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:03 am

Tie Your Mother Down
Killer Queen

flawless.

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:46 am

They did the soundtrack for Highlander which has some class tracks on it.

According to "Queen and I - the Brian May Story" his guitar was called the "Red Special" and he made it out of an old fireplace.

Return to “Rants and Raves”