Queen - Yes, Queen!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:44 pm

I always thought German chick said "Dispatch War Rocket Ajax..."

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:24 pm

WalterCracker wrote:I always thought German chick said "Dispatch War Rocket Ajax..."

Hmm, probably the truth, since there were nameable war rockets in that movie. So hard to tell, what with her mush-mouthed attempt at a German accent.

dum dum dum dum Flash!!.... aa-aaaah!!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:08 pm

Queen rocks. The Highlander soundtrack rocks. It's settled.
I just remember Brian May on VH1's Behind the Music being asked why they chose the name Queen. He says, "Because we thought it sounded British." Yeah, sure, that's why....

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:18 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Hmm, probably the truth, since there were nameable war rockets in that movie. So hard to tell, what with her mush-mouthed attempt at a German accent.

dum dum dum dum Flash!!.... aa-aaaah!!

"Saviour of the universe.." Friggin love that song. Love Queen. Was a huge fan growing up and the day my brother did the disc throw and bb gun excursion with all of the family's Queen Vinyl back in the early 80's... well that broke my dear little heart.

"Under Pressure" is still my favorite song ever, and i can do a mean imitation of Freddie singing that song. Oh yeah.

Second favorite song is " One Vision". The opening to that song rocks. And their best song from their final days was " Who wants to live forever", absolutely gorgeous and haunting.

Ok, now I'm gonna go home and listen to some Queen.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:57 pm

Charli wrote:
"Under Pressure" is still my favorite song ever, and i can do a mean imitation of Freddie singing that song. Oh yeah.

My husband got to sing the bridge with the Flaming Lips once. How cool is that?

Turned away from it all, like a blind man
Sat on a fence but it don't work
Keep coming up with love
But it's so slashed and torn
Why why why?
Love love love love

campfirewood1980
GLONO Board Playa

Postby campfirewood1980 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:18 pm

Oh, HEYAULL YEAH to "Under Pressure." A truly beautiful song, indeed, with great coda.

"Why can't we give ourselves one more chance?"

Now I'm getting all weepy.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:30 pm

YES! "Queen's Greatest Hits" was the first album I ever bought with my own money as a 'lil eight year old back in '80.

Last year I got the three-CD greatest hits set which I love.

Some of my favorite Queen stuff:

--Brian May and Gave Grohl doing "Tie Your Mother Down" at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction for Queen (check your favorite file share program)

-- The whole Freddie Mercury tribute concert at Wembly Stadium in the early '90s. I love how British crowds chant, clap and sing along in unison with the bands. George Michael doing "Someone to Love" was awesome.

-- The "Keep Yourself Alive" drum solo

-- As far as later Queen, I loved the song "Innuendo". A classic kind of "Bohemian Rhapsody" / "Under Pressure" multi-part epic.

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:46 am

In relation to British crowd participation - there's some quote that Freddie's best instrument was the crowd. He could play the piano pretty well but he could play a crowd like no one else.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:33 am

Anybody see the Freddie Mercury documentary on Bravo a while back?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:05 pm

Am I a nimrod for being all ga-ga for the songs "Spread Your Wings" (a truly dippy narrative in this one) and "It's Late" off of News of the World? I totally dig those songs, but I could see gettin' called out on the carpet for it. Sometimes, you have to let art just kind of wash over you.

Return to “Rants and Raves”