SMiLE!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:55 pm

We used ProTools to get the pitch on the voices perfectly, and you can tell. When you hear it, you'll notice that the pitch is perfect.

This was my greatest fear. Oh well, I still have Smiley Smile...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:21 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
We used ProTools to get the pitch on the voices perfectly, and you can tell. When you hear it, you'll notice that the pitch is perfect.

This was my greatest fear. Oh well, I still have Smiley Smile...

*Thunk*
(*sound of spear nailing baraba j. to the wall)

They had me fooled. Guess that "raggediness" I liked was just shit they missed!

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:35 pm

Folks, I've gotta say, I disagree with everybody's opinions on this whole ProTools/"SMiLE" controversy (figures, I've become the "SMiLE" apologist on this board - heh heh). You're not the first to be upset by this; I've been hearing it in other forums, too.

Here's my issue: No artist should ever have to answer to how they MADE the album. All that matters is what the bloody thing sounds like! And "SMiLE" sounds perfect and vintage and wonderful. So bring out the ProTools, I say! Getting Brian Wilson into the studio was probably hard enough - give the guy a break. Let him have his modern conveniences.

I'd venture to say that 95 percent of most commercially released records use pitch correction at some point in the recording/mixing process. Why should this record be any different?

Moreover, a friend up mine who was up on the whole ProTools/"SMiLE" controversy saw Brian Wilson last Saturday at the Auditorium Theater. And he said that if they used pitch correction in the making of the record, it was minimal at best, because Wilson sounded perfect at the gig.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

so i finally got my copy of SMiLE today...

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:01 am

...i had gone to the record store the day after SMiLE released to buy it and was told they were sold out, so i bought the new interpol record instead and put SMiLE on the back burner for a bit, resigned to listen to my (quite excellent) mp3s of one of the SMiLE tour shows until i could gather up the spare cash again to pick up a copy of the real thing. having finally bought a copy after so much talk and controversy and all, my first impression is that this album is INCREDIBLE! i could give a rat's ass if brian wilson used pitch correction to achieve the sounds on the record. he could've gone to san quentin and enlisted the help of charles manson as far as i'm concerned and it would still be a great album. if i've learned nothing else from hanging around glono for a bit, i've learned to listen without prejudice, and in doing so, i don't understand how anyone can have that big a problem with SMiLE. i mean, this guy had the chutzpah to go back and record a new version of arguably his best and most recognizable song (good vibrations) more than 30 years later and actually PULLED IT OFF! i'm not saying it's better than the original, but it certainly holds its own enough to not make you feel sorry for brian wilson in the slightest for attempting such a daring task. SMiLE as a whole is well beyond my expectations for what an aging pop legend would be able to accomplish by revisiting a long-abandoned legendary woulda been-shoulda been masterpiece. think about it this way: could the "new" beatles songs released with the anthology hold a candle to this? could anything mccartney, harrison or starr have done since the late 70s? i doubt it. okay, i'm going to bed now. going to drift off to sleep with SMiLE on my iPod and hope my brain can come up with some crazy dreams to go along with the soundtrack.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: so i finally got my copy of SMiLE today...

Postby booker » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:44 am

thinsafetypin wrote: i could give a rat's ass if brian wilson used pitch correction to achieve the sounds on the record. he could've gone to san quentin and enlisted the help of charles manson as far as i'm concerned and it would still be a great album. if i've learned nothing else from hanging around glono for a bit, i've learned to listen without prejudice, and in doing so, i don't understand how anyone can have that big a problem with SMiLE. i mean, this guy had the chutzpah to go back and record a new version of arguably his best and most recognizable song (good vibrations) more than 30 years later and actually PULLED IT OFF!

Exactly.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: SMiLE!

Postby thinsafetypin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:19 pm

I was listening to Brian Wilson SMiLE yesterday and had a vague recollection of this thread pop into my brain. I'm interested to know how time and the release of The Smile Sessions have changed your reception of BWS. I prefer listening to The Beach Boys version, but I still enjoy the Brian Wilson one and give it full credit for the eventual appearance of a finished BB album, as I don't believe it ever would have been assembled, and certainly not in such a Wilson-approved fashion, had it not been for BWS. The only downside I see is that it makes the shelving and subsequent atrophy of The Beach Boys in 1967 that much more tragic. Anyone else have thoughts about this, or am I resurrecting an 11 year old thread for my own enjoyment?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:I was listening to Brian Wilson SMiLE yesterday and had a vague recollection of this thread pop into my brain. I'm interested to know how time and the release of The Smile Sessions have changed your reception of BWS. I prefer listening to The Beach Boys version, but I still enjoy the Brian Wilson one and give it full credit for the eventual appearance of a finished BB album, as I don't believe it ever would have been assembled, and certainly not in such a Wilson-approved fashion, had it not been for BWS. The only downside I see is that it makes the shelving and subsequent atrophy of The Beach Boys in 1967 that much more tragic. Anyone else have thoughts about this, or am I resurrecting an 11 year old thread for my own enjoyment?

I still prefer the Beach Boys versions. But I definitely appreciate the fact that Darian Sahanaja convinced Brian to "finish" it up. I love the Smile Sessions box. It's insane. So much great music. So many amazing vocals. Nothing released on BWPS or the Smile Sessions box has unseated any of my 5 favorite songs from the era, all of which were finished up by the Beach Boys and released by 1971:

"Our Prayer" on 20/20 (1969)
"Heroes and Villians" on Smiley Smile (1967)
"Cabinessence" on 20/20 (1969)
"Surf's Up" on Surf's Up (1971)
"Good Vibrations" on Smiley Smile (1967)

My favorite thing on the Sessions box is the 8+ minute "Smile Backing Vocals Montage."

PS - This is a related, funny old thread.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 am

Jake wrote:
thinsafetypin wrote:I was listening to Brian Wilson SMiLE yesterday and had a vague recollection of this thread pop into my brain. I'm interested to know how time and the release of The Smile Sessions have changed your reception of BWS. I prefer listening to The Beach Boys version, but I still enjoy the Brian Wilson one and give it full credit for the eventual appearance of a finished BB album, as I don't believe it ever would have been assembled, and certainly not in such a Wilson-approved fashion, had it not been for BWS. The only downside I see is that it makes the shelving and subsequent atrophy of The Beach Boys in 1967 that much more tragic. Anyone else have thoughts about this, or am I resurrecting an 11 year old thread for my own enjoyment?

I still prefer the Beach Boys versions. But I definitely appreciate the fact that Darian Sahanaja convinced Brian to "finish" it up. I love the Smile Sessions box. It's insane. So much great music. So many amazing vocals. Nothing released on BWPS or the Smile Sessions box has unseated any of my 5 favorite songs from the era, all of which were finished up by the Beach Boys and released by 1971:

"Our Prayer" on 20/20 (1969)
"Heroes and Villians" on Smiley Smile (1967)
"Cabinessence" on 20/20 (1969)
"Surf's Up" on Surf's Up (1971)
"Good Vibrations" on Smiley Smile (1967)

My favorite thing on the Sessions box is the 8+ minute "Smile Backing Vocals Montage."

PS - This is a related, funny old thread.

Haha, that was great. I found out today that Mike Love is Kevin Love's uncle. Weird. I saw Love and Mercy this week and I hate Mike Love more than ever.

Return to “Rants and Raves”