Underrated musicians

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Underrated musicians

Postby Dawg » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:53 am

So , who are some musicians that you guys don't think get their due as great musicians? I'm talking strictly on instrumental merit.

The first one that springs to my mind is Dave Lombardo, the drummer for Slayer. Unbelieveable how tight this guy is and how he keeps the trainwreck speed metal together. Listen to him do the double-bass riff at the beginning of "Silent Scream"' and you'll know what I mean.

On bass, I'm thinking of the Dead Kennedy's Klaus Flouride. Say what you will about East Bay Ray, but all the DK songs I love have one thing in common: they are BUILT on incredible bass lines and propelled by great bass riffs. Especially amazing in a genre that smirks on instrumental proficiency.

On guitar, I'm thinking of Prince. Everyone recognizes Prince as a genius composer / performer, but I don't think the guy gets props as a guitar player. He's off the freakin' charts. Nothing brought this home more to me than going to see him on the Muicology tour. He was all over the electric and showed some serious chops

I can't think of an underrated singer right now, but I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:10 pm

On drums, AC/DC's Phil Rudd. He understood that his band was heavy enough to not need any fills, rolls, or double kick antics.
On guitar, I'd have to give a nod to Sterling Morrisson of The Velvet Underground.
Andy Metcalfe, the bassist for Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians and The Soft Boys has always provided some stunning fretwork when needed.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:37 pm

I'd have to say Daniel Lanois. He produced The Joshua Tree and Peter Gabriel's So. He's also the main reason U2 sounded like they did during that era, that whole minimalist heavy-on-the-reverb sound is all him. Seriously, read his resume on allmusic.com, it's pretty impressive. And all this time he has an awesome solo career, and is an amazing pedal steel guitar player. I saw him in DC a year or so ago. It gave me chills. His album Acadie is probably one of the best albums of the 90s. Anyone who hasn't heard it should do themselves a favor and get it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:42 pm

steve-o wrote:I'd have to say Daniel Lanois. He produced The Joshua Tree and Peter Gabriel's So. He's also the main reason U2 sounded like they did during that era, that whole minimalist heavy-on-the-reverb sound is all him. Seriously, read his resume on allmusic.com, it's pretty impressive. And all this time he has an awesome solo career, and is an amazing pedal steel guitar player. I saw him in DC a year or so ago. It gave me chills. His album Acadie is probably one of the best albums of the 90s. Anyone who hasn't heard it should do themselves a favor and get it.

I;ll have to revisit his work. thanks for the tip.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:28 pm

I say Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine. He may not be a Hendrix-style virtuoso but his guitar work just rocks. Some of the sounds he gets out of his axe are unbelievable (I'm thinking in particular about the faux-scratch craziness of 'Bulls On Parade').

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:41 pm

steve-o wrote:Seriously, read his resume on allmusic.com, it's pretty impressive. And all this time he has an awesome solo career, and is an amazing pedal steel guitar player. I saw him in DC a year or so ago. It gave me chills. His album Acadie is probably one of the best albums of the 90s. Anyone who hasn't heard it should do themselves a favor and get it.

Daniel Lanois is the man. After reading Bob Dylan, "Chronicles 1," I had to listen to Oh Mercy last night, Dylan's first Lanois-produced album (Dylan talks at length about the making of the album in "Chronicles"). Even with the occasional late-'80s drum sound, the album's still perfect.

Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball is another stellar example of Lanois' production savvy and artistry. The guy practically knows how to use reverb as an instrument (that's a compliment).

And, of course, who could forget about U2. Speaking of that, does anyone know if Lanois ran the boards on the band's upcoming album?

I have to say, though, that I wasn't totally impressed with Shine, Lanois' latest solo effort. I'll have to check out Acadie.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:57 pm

booker wrote: The guy practically knows how to use reverb as an instrument (that's a compliment).

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

booker wrote: And, of course, who could forget about U2. Speaking of that, does anyone know if Lanois ran the boards on the band's upcoming album?

From what it says on this site, he won't be working on it.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:29 pm

Cool. Thanks, steve-o.

Ron Johnson

Postby Ron Johnson » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:02 pm

Carl Perkins
Gene Clark
and Karl Precoda, lead guitar player on the first two Dream Syndicate records. No one did feedback like him.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby explosionsinthesky » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:05 pm

Not to be a music nerd/stickler but I think technically "acadie" had a 1989 release......oh who gives a shit......I'm an idiot

Return to “Rants and Raves”