My Issues With KISS

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

KISS is...

Great: The hottest band in the land
6%
Good: I love it loud
13%
Fair: God gave rock & roll to you
28%
Poor: Tears are falling
28%
Awful: All hell's breakin' loose
25%

Total votes: 32

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:39 pm

DJMurphy wrote:He's got the last laugh, though; his life mate is none other than Shannon Tweed.

...and let's not forget Bea Arthur!

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BandyLou » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:47 pm

"When I was 15 and trying to be a real metalhead I bought "Destroyer" on cassette and was surprised by how "wimpy" it was compared to Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, etc etc."

That's about the same as my experience... add a button on the quiz for 'surprised by the wimpiness'.

When I was in early elementary school, KISS was the band that kids with tough older brothers knew about. They looked like demons, bad kids listened to them, they spit blood and stuff. Years later when I finally heard their music, it was very underwhelming. I expected it to sound scary and satanic like maiden or something.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 pm

blackshoestring wrote:...and let's not forget Bea Arthur!

LOL, that reminds me of Tipper Gore's alleged encounter with one of the Mentors.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:55 pm

DJMurphy wrote:LOL, that reminds me of Tipper Gore's alleged encounter with one of the Mentors.

Haw haw! Now she's just found and forgotten.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:57 pm

blackshoestring wrote:...and let's not forget Bea Arthur!

"whiffs of freon and my new grandma bea authur come on over."

when i was a kid they scared the crap out of me what with all the blood and paint on their face.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:17 pm

BandyLou wrote:"When I was 15 and trying to be a real metalhead I bought "Destroyer" on cassette and was surprised by how "wimpy" it was compared to Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, etc etc."

That's about the same as my experience... add a button on the quiz for 'surprised by the wimpiness'.

When I was in early elementary school, KISS was the band that kids with tough older brothers knew about. They looked like demons, bad kids listened to them, they spit blood and stuff. Years later when I finally heard their music, it was very underwhelming. I expected it to sound scary and satanic like maiden or something.

recorded analog and played on a cassette machine, it does sound wimpy.

See them live, though, and those songs kick your ass!

That album also sounds really good off vinyl, played over a good Hi Fi system. Which is what the original recording was meant for.

You can't really compare them to Metallica, different eras. Metallica is the metal antithisis of Kiss, no schtick, no singing about banging chicks...just hard rock that ponders our utter aloneness.

But Sabbath! Sabbath still kicks everyone's ass. Don't fuck with Ozzy.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:24 pm

Kiss was good clean fun back in the day. I loved 'em as a kid, but that didn't last very long. I moved on to Zepplin, Queen, Tull, etc. Then came punk, but that's another story.

Still, one thing is indisputable - puking blood onstage is fucking cool.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:27 pm

Don't forget blowing fire! Blowing fire is too cool.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:33 pm

KISS used to scare me when i was in pre-school...I thought they were demons and our juvenile delinquent neighbors liked em...
now, their biggest influence seems to be on the mega merchandising of rock and on the other side their contribution to the image of black metal!

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:48 pm

I forgot about one thing though...anyone think the Misfits are punks version of KISS? The merchandising and the shitty comeback and all...
But man the Misfits old stuff was good 'cept for about 1 song...

Return to “Rants and Raves”