My Issues With KISS

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

KISS is...

Great: The hottest band in the land
6%
Good: I love it loud
13%
Fair: God gave rock & roll to you
28%
Poor: Tears are falling
28%
Awful: All hell's breakin' loose
25%

Total votes: 32

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:51 pm

Jake wrote: If you don't think they realize they're funny, you're underestimating them. Need evidence? Watch the movie Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park. Why don't we Americans understand the concept of camp?

REASON #6
Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park
Can't believe I forgot that thing. I'll disagree with the idea that Kiss was considering camp or humor with that project. I'd say it had more to do with looking for yet another way to milk young kids into buying their shit. It came at a time when Gene and Paul looked at their audience and noticed it had changed from white teenage stoners into 10 year old white boys. And "camp" to a 10 year old boy means getting poison ivy.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Camp or Kitchy or whatever is a lost concept for the majority of the new under 30. You would think that the early 90's Nirvana/Soundgarden were the bummer generation but it is truly the new 20-somethings. You had to have a sense of humor to appreciate the Cobain sarcasm. No imagination and all computers and violent video games has created an Orwellian society of unfeeling, unimaginative bummer robots.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:30 pm

grounded5am wrote:why would i want to bed a bitch? a skank maybe but not a bitch.

a bitch is just a skank that won't fuck you...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:36 pm

Sven wrote:Camp or Kitchy or whatever is a lost concept for the majority of the new under 30. You would think that the early 90's Nirvana/Soundgarden were the bummer generation but it is truly the new 20-somethings. You had to have a sense of humor to appreciate the Cobain sarcasm. No imagination and all computers and violent video games has created an Orwellian society of unfeeling, unimaginative bummer robots.

Hmm. I agree with the first half, but second is too easy. I blame neurotic absent boomer parents trying too hard to be their kid's best friend rather than a mum/dad. Then I blame self-help shite books: "enlightenment in 300 pages" "how to communicate with your teen". Pure Crap! Be a fucking parent not a patient. No one knows how to be a parent, so why buy a fucking book??

In this warm-and-fuzzy-in-touch-with-yourself scenerio, robotisim is the ulitmate rebellion.

Fucking fucking pathetic. Sven how's about you and I pull a few plugs? Any one else? Let's make it a plug-pulling-party.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:20 am

creepy wrote:
a bitch is just a skank that won't fuck you...

but then bitches that she can't find anyone.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Three years ago...

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:12 am

Look what I found from an article we published exactly three years ago to the day: This, Bud, Is For You

And so listen to this from an interview in The New York Times Magazine, conducted by John Glassie, with Gene Simmons, co-founder, with Paul Stanley, of Kiss:

"Music was never the point. I believe that music and inspiration and creativity are all way overvalued. Everybody who is in the arts likes to emphasize the romantic because it makes good copy. Well, I have a little bit of advice for all the new rock stars: if you're queasy about all the money you've made, sit down and write a check to Gene Simmons for your entire net worth."

Is that what it is all about? Does knowing that the music of Kiss was as calculated as a McDonald's commercial make it something less? Are those people who may feel "queasy" knowing that the Kiss anthems that they once rocked to are nothing more than advertisements for selling more and more copies of themselves merely babes in the woods who deserve to be taken?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:23 am

hmm... intresting. very interesting.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:03 pm

I wasn't the smartest kid in the world during the heyday of KissArmy, but even I knew something was up. Let me make it clear that every single one of my friends loved Kiss and I was the exception. I just thought that Alice Cooper (loved him) did it before, did it better, and rocked harder. By that time, he had fired the original line-up and was doing shit like "Only Women Bleed" and "You And Me." It just seemed like entirely too much work & money to keep up with the Kiss machine: comics made with their blood, four separate albums released at once, and who can forget those Kiss dolls.
I believe the commercial went something like:
Kiss, that's the name
Kiss, they really look insane

My friends are probably sitting on a mint today...Lord knows Gene & Paul are.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:56 pm

what i find funny about all this is that garth brooks is a self professed kiss fan and said that he even did the whole make up thing.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:26 pm

Yup. It was called 'Chris Gaines.'

Return to “Rants and Raves”