List: Words And/Or Phrases To Be Banned In 2005

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

List: Words And/Or Phrases To Be Banned In 2005

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:36 pm

I know it's a bit early (and possibly derivative), but I am in the process of writing such a list for my own devices, and I would like to know what your contributions might look like. Here's what I have come up with so far:
* "That's hot" (makes me murderous! Especially when I overhear it being used by teenage girls in tiny skirts and Uggs at malls.)
* "Blog" (I am not against blogs. Blogs are fine things. I have one. That would be rather hypocritical of me. I am against the word "blog," for reasons I cannot explain or enumerate.)
* "Blogosphere" (Oh, shut the fuck up.)
* Referring to celebrities by their initials, i.e. "SJP," "MK Olsen," etc. (Even--especially--if you are People magazine, this will make me hate you.)
* "I just threw up a little in my mouth" (I think the first popular example of this was in Dodgeball [correct me if I'm wrong], and it was only marginally funny then. Maybe I just live in a weird part of the country but I've been hearing this all over.)
* "Best.___.Ever." (Unless you are the Comic Book Guy. Which you are not.)
* Blaming things on "acid reflux." (almost as funny as blaming things on wardrobe malfunctions!)
* And for the love of christ, someone needs to teach people the proper meaning and usage of the word "literally."

All right, go.
yours in crochety smittyness,
nbg.
Last edited by nobodygirl on Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Re: List: Words And/Or Phrases To Be Banned In 2005

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:41 pm

nobodygirl wrote:* "Best.___.Ever." (Unless you are Homer Simpson. Which you are not.)

Actually, I won't even take it from Homer. It's gotta be the Comic Book Guy, or nobody. Hey, does that character have an actual name? Did I miss that episode?

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:50 pm

it was the Comic Book Guy not Homer

and as far as LITERALLY goes, its a lost cause David cross..
Last edited by trainwreck2 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BandyLou » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:50 pm

"It's a no-brainer"
Other than conjuring up humorously grotesque images of the speaker's brain being removed, this one is overused and must go.

"A Disconnect"
Some grammatical magic trick allowed this phrase to be used where people used to say "a lack of communication" or "a failure of communication"... It really is a shorter way of having to describe that one party/entity fails to relate or connect to another, but it has become one of those icky corporatese phrases that should be stricken now before it starts to become overused and abused.

Thank you. Bigups to all my working peoples out there who dislike corporate doublespeak and the pseudo-clever reworking of the language to suit business needs.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Next thing you know you'll be wanting to strike "smittyness"!

How 'bout striking the letter E? (That's been suggested before, hasn't it?)

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:55 pm

Um, can we take this conversation "off line?"

One of my faves.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:12 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:
Actually, I won't even take it from Homer. It's gotta be the Comic Book Guy, or nobody. Hey, does that character have an actual name? Did I miss that episode?

Fuck, you're right. There goes all my cred...

Update: I fixed it. Y'all didn't see nothin'.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 pm

nobodygirl wrote:* "That's hot" (makes me murderous! Especially when I overhear it being used by teenage girls in tiny skirts and Uggs at malls.)
* Referring to celebrities by their initials, i.e. "SJP," "MK Olsen," etc. (Even--especially--if you are People magazine, this will make me hate you.)
* Blaming things on "acid reflux." (almost as funny as blaming things on wardrobe malfunctions!)

Howzabout we just remove the celebrities that are involved in these...especially ones who are famous because of nepotism (ashlee simpson),famous for being rich (certainly not famous for talent or looks, I guess she COULD be famous for not wearing underwear I guess)or luck (Olsen Twins,no talent there either)

oh yeah...Im old I guess...what are Uggs?
Last edited by trainwreck2 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:16 pm

Most of my hated words/phrases were collequial but are now used corporately as a way to getting "in touch" with the little people.

"Bottom line"
"It's not brain surgery/rocket science"
"Basically"
"Cool" but said "kewl" or "coolio"
"Like"
"Team"
"Ya know"
"I'm luvvin' it"
"In order to"

Please people learn the fucking language. Learn to read books without pictures.

I could go on and on, but it' lunch time, I've been working since 7am and Im about to faint.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:26 pm

I don't like "It's all good" -- it sounds simple-minded and
there's nothing you can really say to it except "Oh yeah.
Right." It's a conversation stopper. And I think it implies
you're supposed to smile and, like, feel good. Come on!

Return to “Rants and Raves”